Stephen King's Best Novel?

King was my favourite author by a country mile when I was much younger. During my early teens (mid 80's) I started with Carrie in paperback which I found on a second hand book stall at a local market. The book was falling to pieces but I didn't have much money when I was a kid and it was all I could afford, I probably paid less than 20p for it at the time. I still have that same paperback on my shelf 30 or so years later. I couldn't get enough of him back then and I went on to read all of his works up until the early noughties when I felt he'd gone off the boil. I haven't exactly stopped reading King, I've just become more choosy in what I pick up as my tastes have matured.

I have a selection of his works at home yet to read:

The Colorado Kid
From a Buick 8
11/22/63
The Wind Through The Keyhole
Mr Mercedes

I am planning to finish The Shining. I had the book several years ago but I never get around to read it as my fantastic friend borrowed it and...disappeared.
Anyways its on my booklist to get Doctor Sleep. I've read a lot of good reviews.

My faves were always Needful Things and Misery. Bazaar of Bad Dreams as pretty good as were The Bachman Books(fave 2 are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and The Long Walk) but they are more short collections.

Being a middle-aged person, I'm more familiar with his older books, and reread them at intervals. In my opinion his best work is not his 'spookiest'. Misery is brilliant. The Tommyknockers is a good scifi story. And some of his short stories are the scariest things I've ever read.

I need to read his short stories, I tried to read The Mist short but it dragged, half way through the story and the main character is still helping his neighbour he doesn't like, cut down a tree.

The Long Walk
Eyes of the Dragon

Their should be a second book for eyes of the dragon, or I should say I wish their was a second book. The world of The Hunger Games have nothing on The world of The Long Walk.

Stephen King's best novel is the "It." "The Eyes of the Dragon" is a close second.

I need to read his short stories, I tried to read The Mist short but it dragged, half way through the story and the main character is still helping his neighbour he doesn't like, cut down a tree.
I am just reading Skeleton Crew (short stories) now. The Mist is the first one. It does take rather too long to get into, but eventually gets reasonably entertaining. I hope it isn't the best story in the collection.

I am just reading Skeleton Crew (short stories) now. The Mist is the first one. It does take rather too long to get into, but eventually gets reasonably entertaining. I hope it isn't the best story in the collection.

I like all his short story collections, but I think that Skeleton Crew is probably my favourite. Mrs Todd's Shortcut, The Jaunt, Beachworld, Uncle Otto's Truck and The Reach stand out in my memory. I hope you enjoy it.

pH

I haven't read all of King's novels, but I'd rank The Shining and Pet Semetary especially high, with IT and Salem's Lot close behind. Had he pared down IT some I think I would see that as his best, but there's an awkwardness in spots and some repetition that I'm not sure is needed.

Randy M.

Salem's Lot, The Stand, and Pet Sematary.

Worst: Black House and the sequel to The Shining (can't recall the name). Guess he's not great on sequels.

Misery I liked. As for Black House, I should re-read it: It may be that I was just disappointed with it the first time, so I may have just judged harshly.

The Stand is my favorite Stephen King Novel , In all I've read 8 of his novels