Stephen King's Best Novel?

1. dannymcg

dannymcg Well-Known Member

The Stand - full revised version :)

2. dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Is it really that much better than the original release? That was good (and big) enough.

3. Mredding

Mredding New Member

Been a King fan for so many years, and read nearly his entire works. For me, funnily enough, along with so many others here, The Stand still stands above the rest. Special mention also to Pet Semetary, IT, The Shining, 11/22/63, and Misery.

4. dannymcg

dannymcg Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that much better, just a bit longer and a few minor characters a bit more fleshed out.
    As with most King books the longer the better once you get into his world.
    I tend to get downhearted when nearing the end of one of his massive tomes, just because "the end is nigh"

Steven Sorrels and dask like this.
  5. AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

Well I'm halfway through IT and I can honestly say it's the best SK book I've read so far. The writing,the storytelling, is just so good!

6. LeonDaydreamer

LeonDaydreamer Member

I never read The Stand, but I heard it was one of his best books.
    My favorite book of his that I read (or tried to read) was Hearts in Atlantis. It might be a surprising pick, it is VERY different from his usual writing. My favorite story is probably The Body (a.k.a. Stand By Me the movie), which was loosely based on his own childhood.

7. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Its a great book one of the best Post apocalyptic novels ever written. (y)

8. LeonDaydreamer

LeonDaydreamer Member

I guess I'll check it out sometime! :)
    Technically, another favorite of his for me is his book 'On Writing'... I didn't like it, but I learned quite a bit from it.
    Fun fact, and some of you guys probably know this, but apparently he has no recollection of writing his book 'Cujo', because he was crazy high at the time. :/

9. BAYLOR

Off topic for a second

Book you might find of interest Earth Abides by George R Stewart . This is one the best of end of civilization novels ever written.

The Star Rover by Jack London his only fantasy novel unknown and unlike all his other novels . Its a straitjacketed deathRow inmate who discovers he can astral project himself into his pat lives at will. Its great book can be found vain project Gutenberg.

Back on topic just finished Kings book The Running Man. Way better then the movie.(y)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. Droflet

Droflet I don't teach chickens how to dance.

Yeah, he wrote some of his best books under the influence. He's quoted as saying, "I've never met a drug or drink that I didn't like." He's been clean for many years and still writing great books.

11. LeonDaydreamer

LeonDaydreamer Member

I'll make a note. :) The Jack London one sounds interesting.
    And Stephen King didn't write Running Man... that was Richard Bachman (definitely not Stephen King :ROFLMAO:) - apparently he wrote it all in 24 hours, probably also under the influence? (Great film, by the way, one of Arnie's best!) I should check out the book one day.

12. BAYLOR

Also Robert McCamerons Swan Song truly a great apocalyptic epic.:)

Sorry, Im a a chronic book recommender .

Of Further interesting you might want to checkout Seabury Quinn The Horror on the Links and The Devil Rosary. His Jules De Grandin stores , they are fun to read ! These are the first two books with 3 more to follow.

Burnt Offerings by Robert Marassco

William Hope Hodgson 's The House on the Borderland One the greatest horror novels ever written and it influenced a lot of writers

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner

Black Gods Kiss by C L Moore

Kuttner and Moore were both great writers and they husband and wife.

In a Lonely Place
    by Karl Edward Wagner.

Ill give out rest now on the recommending, I do get carried away.:D

jackwinabox57 likes this.
  13. LeonDaydreamer

LeonDaydreamer Member

Haha, I can see that! That may be a little more than I can handle anytime soon, but thanks for the suggestions! (y)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  14. BAYLOR

Im always glad to recommend , but I give it rest for now.:)

LeonDaydreamer likes this.
  15. paranoid marvin

paranoid marvin Run VT Erroll!

Bachman IS Stephen King, he just used it as another nae to publish work under. And yes The Running Man novel is very different to the enjoyable action flick, it's also a very good read.

16. paranoid marvin

I agree; in fact I think that his longer novels, whilst interesting and exciting, are rarely terrifying. But some of his shorter stories are. The Sun Dog is my favourite and has a chilly ending.

I do think that sometimes King does have endings that aren't always...satisfying to me.

Phyrebrat likes this.
  17. paranoid marvin

Cell is a good short novel. A bit like a mini Stand. The film is utterly awful though.

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  18. paranoid marvin

I agree,m this was a wonderful book (although the tv series utterly butchered it and ended up being awful).

19. Pedro Del Mar

Pedro Del Mar I am content

I thought Cell was fabulous. Although for me it seemed to end very quickly, almost as though a Cell 2 was in the pipeline which would have been amazing!

20. paranoid marvin

Any other author and I would agree, but unlike the movies which tend to get sequels, King isn't an author who does follow-up novels, although he often references earlier stuff in later,unconnected, works. Less 'happy' endings would also be a bonus!

Cell is a little unusual in that it has an open ending (unlike the film) , whereas most of his novels have 'proper' conclusions to them.