Stephen King's Best Novel?

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by GOLLUM, Oct 4, 2009.

1. james lecky

james lecky Active Member

Just thinking about this, I've read The Stand (both the original publication and restored version) quite a few times over the years, and have always regarded it as his finest novel. However, I've also read The Mist nearly as many times and, although it's often classed as a novella (and is by Stephen King's usual standards) is a pretty substantial piece of work and, in terms of its original publication date (1980) certainly qualifies as a novel.

2. dkm14

dkm14 New Member

It is the Long Walk for me. That book stuck with me like nothing else. Harrowing and beautiful.

3. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

I'm about halfway through it and it's very good. Mega creepy, though, with kids in danger which means I'm only reading a little at a time. :)

4. Khartun

Khartun New Member

For anyone who hasn't read it it is $1.99 on both Amazon and Barnes today. I just picked it up. I'll start it after I finish the 3rd book of the Coldfire Trilogy.

5. RightersBlock

RightersBlock Well-Known Member

I only have his short story collections (which I love) but his long work is too long and I have a short attention span for overly detailed work. Sorry.

6. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

Not all his stuff is long - Carrie, Firestarter, Dead Zone, Cujo and Pet Sematery are all normal length books. There may well be others. :)

7. RightersBlock

RightersBlock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I made I made a mistake when I jumped from his short fiction to the 1000 pager IT. 0.0 I bought it 4 years ago or more and i'm still trying to read it.

8. JMGA196

JMGA196 New Member

Hi, I'm new here...

I've read a lot of Stephen's books and I can say my 5 favorites are

1. Desperation
    2. It
    3. The Stand
    4. The Green Mile
    5. Insomnia

I didn't include any of The Dark Tower books... I'm currently reading The Waste Lands....

9. barrett1987

barrett1987 Well-Known Member

The Stand was the one book that had the most effect on me. Horror usually doesn't effect me when i read but with the Stand the horror i felt was in the ''what ifs'' of a world that had destroyed itself and the idea that society would very quickly make the same mistakes again. Oh and the Walkin' dude!

10. thatollie

thatollie Kraken Addict

I loved it, I sped through the last two thirds of it in one sitting and didn't get any sleep that night.

11. George Ian

George Ian Well-Known Member

The Stand - by a mile!

12. AndrewT

AndrewT Well-Known Member

I have not yet read the Stand but enjoyed the film(s) greatly. The Shining was the only book I have ever read that really gave me a case of the creepers so I have to go with that. Different Seasons is really a great set of novellas, containing some of his best writing.

13. BigBadBob141

BigBadBob141 Well-Known Member

S.K. has written so many good books that I find impossible to chose just one.
    So I will list some those that I've read more then once:
    "The Shining" (my 1st and still a big favourite), "The Stand" (extended edition),"Needful Things" (now where did I put that baseball card?), "Insomnia" (stayed up all night with this one), "Duma Key" (very creepy), "It" (who's are these big shoes?), "The Tommyknockers" (now where did I park my flying saucer?).
    Then on top of all this there are so many of his short stories I like to read again & again!

14. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Tough choice but of the novels ve read by him The Stand.:)

15. willwallace

willwallace Interested Observer

It's hard to choose another novel over The Stand, the writing as well as the breadth of the book is tough to beat.

16. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Epic stuff.(y)

17. Frost Giant

Frost Giant Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the original Gunslinger (Dark Tower Book One) before any revisions were made. I had loaned my copy out and never got it back. I was grateful to find an original first edition in a used book store. I thought it was perfect as it was, I was disappointed with the changes he made later on.
    Other than that, I would consider The Stand his masterwork. In the case of The Stand the revised and expanded edition was an improvement.

18. Mister_Oy

Mister_Oy Well-Known Member

I'm a big Dark Tower fan as you can probably guess :)

Other than that...

Insomnia
    The Stand
    The Long Walk
    The Talisman / Black House

19. J D Foster

J D Foster Rank amateur, utter novice, please help

I thought Firestarter was very exciting at the time

The dark half also

Loved many of the short stories in Nightmares and Dreamscapes

20. Heavy

Heavy New Member

Dr Sleep can be read as a standalone, but it's more interesting if you read the Shining

His early cocaine-fueled novels are amazing

Post-accident, things seem off.