What do YOU want from Robin Hobb?

mushroomyakuza

When I first started reading Hobb, I was enthralled. The first three trilogies were fantastic, but I found myself sort of bemused by Soldier Son, and while I enjoyed Dragon Keeper, it wasn't what I wanted from Hobb.

I recently met Robin herself and asked her if she'd ever consider doing a prequel trilogy to do with the Farseers, focusing on Chade and Shrewd. She didn't really object, nor did she approve. She merely said it was an interesting idea. Personally though, I'd love to see something like this. The world of the Six Duchies is want I want from Hobb.

Another idea, is to make Fitz the trainer of a new aprentice to act as an assassin under King Dutiful, effectively making him the "new" Chade. Obviously this would make Fitz an older narrator, and we certainly left him at what felt like the "right" place in his life, but I would love to hear more from him regardless.

What do you guys want from Hobb?

I did enjoy Dragon Keeper quite a bit. I have enjoyed all of Hobb's work with the Farseer/Tawny Man books at the top, then the liveship and then Soldiers Son. As much as I love the books I don't personally feel like I need to read more on Fitz. His story was complete. I would like to read a new story again from her. Although Soldier son wasnt up to par I still would like to see what else she can do.

Really, anything she does I will read and that is the mark of a great author...she could write the phone book and I would order it

Personally though, I'd love to see something like this. The world of the Six Duchies is want I want from Hobb.

Another idea, is to make Fitz the trainer of a new aprentice to act as an assassin under King Dutiful, effectively making him the "new" Chade. Obviously this would make Fitz an older narrator, and we certainly left him at what felt like the "right" place in his life, but I would love to hear more from him regardless.

I think that a lot of Hobb's magic comes from her unveiling of a mystery. In the first three series, we couldn't have predicted the way she went.. there were so many routes she slipped us off onto and we only saw what she was doing and where she was going at the end. If she wrote something like what you're suggesting, all mystery would be lost - we'd know exactly where she's headed, there's nothing to unveil.

In any case, what you're requesting is just like fanfic. She'd never stoop to writing a wank-dream for her readers. She tells stories.

I want Fitz to go find the Fool. I finished Fool's Fate yesterday and nearly threw the book down the office in a fit. I don't think a book has ever upset me that much. The end just felt wrong and I was so involved with the characters. :(

I thougt the ending was perfect.

I think it a good thing that there was never a farewell, never a moment of closure for the fool and the fitz. I think it suited their relationship, with all their plays, mysteries and that small possibility of a future reunion perfect.
Whilst with Molly at the same time, Fitz gets what he wants, a big family to surround him with, in time away of most court intrigue.
I can't really put it into words well, it just that the Fool and the Fitz relationship went beyond the normal. And A normal being together wouldn't have fitted them, they where ever more intangible.

That is the best i can manage today, like i said i can't put it into words well, maybe Fitz words about the fool in the ending are the best.

I agree with KiwiBird.

The Fool and Fitz's relationship was a beautiful, tragic, unrequited and somewhat ethereal one. It ended as well as it could.

Just finished Fool's Fate. So emotionally drained. Can't get it out of my head.
Quite disgruntle about Fitz ending up with Molly. That just wasn't right!
A good ending for me would be to see Burrich lived (his death was much too convenient). He and Fitz can go back to Molly, reveal the relevant truths to Molly and have her chosen Burrich over Fitz. For Burrich's the man who she has shared her happiness (and many children) with. For Fitz to accept the choice and see Molly in a different light. That Molly is now just Burrich's wife and a mother, she is no longer the girl he believed he once loved (for come on, it's been 16yrs). His consolation would be having Nettle known the truth about her parentage and be content with that relationship with his daughter and his duty as skillmaster for 6D. All the while he would be yearning for the Fool and hope to one day seek him out.
If there's ever to be another book. I hope Fitz will outlive Molly ( likely cos of the skill, remember kettle?) and go in search for the Fool and I hope we'll discover a wonderful, rich, complicated world the fool came from.
Well, I hope:)

Just so you know, in2fantasy, there is actually another trilogy set in that world (specifically the Rain Wilds), of which the first two books are out. It starts with The Dragon Keeper. You might enjoy them, even if they don't feature Fitz. I assume you've read the Liveship trilogy?

Welcome to the Chron, by the way!

Thanks for the welcome:) I've skipped Liveship, cos I wanted to read more about Fitz. Have borrowed the 1st book of Liveship, but can't quite pick it up. Heard it's another emotional drainer. Thought i might read something lighter for a bit of a break. Will perhaps start Liveship in the next few days.:)

Personally I would love to see Hobb really delve into the lands that are the spark of so many wars and contentions in the world of the Farseers and Liveship Traders (the coutries name escapes me now). We've seen her take us to the lands of the outlying Islands and their ways so I do feel its time we had a look inside the country of slaves and slavers - get a feel for a story from that side of the world and let that country really get a character for itself; aside from being the "bad guys" in the tales.

However I also get the impression that Hobb (as well as any other author) will often get many people asking for stories from their worlds about specific events/places/characters

I think another series set in the duchies for sure, she really set the standard with the farseer trilogy and it will be hard to topple, was never really into the whole rain wild setting, read all three liveship traders solely because I heard it played some part in the Tawny man, and for that reason im glad i did, as a Fool fan it was essential. Dont get me wrong they were good books, but the farseer books were on another level. Purely because of the world and the characters, didnt even feel like the rain wilds and the duchies were in the same universe let alone the same world.

I love the wit/skill and the whole mystery surrounding the Fool, it is certainly possible to bring him/her back since there was so much left unsaid, as much as i want Fitz back it just wouldnt be the same, hes an old man, nighteyes is gone, burrich is gone, chade is old, he is settled down with a family.... A settled down Fitz? I mean he was already pushing on abit in the final series before he skillhealed himself, now he will be in a wheelchair getting fed through a straw by nettle.

Id want the wreckless, young, always in trouble Fitz back, not the isolated, responsible fartherly figure that the tawny man introduced.

If only there was a way to erase my memory so i could read the farseer again for the first time. :(

No more for Fitz. And this is because I love him to bits.
He needs his happiness, and for people to stop meddling in his life.
He deserves it after everything he's been through.

overread, I too like to read more about chalce. I think that story will be quite depressing with slaves and wars etc.

Ahh yes Chalce that's the name (or close enough to it that it sounds correct to me). Indeed I'd expect nothing less from Hobb than a very moving tale with a good dose of depression - she writes it well (almost a little too well in how her stories can become quite dominated by the lead characters depression - eg Solider Son Book 2).

But I would love to see this nation brought a little more into the light - its clearly a very powerful nation to hold such strong boarders and be bold enough to raid and strike out at their neighbours without too much fear for reprisal

Anything, to be honest... She has the knack of making characters real. A surprisingly rare skill in the world of fantasy.

Someone suggested a prequel to the Assassin books. I'd say that would be great. Or maybe something totally different, I don't know. Like the Soldier's Son books. They were interesting... I loved the idea of the god in the form of the bird, and the concept of balance throughout those books.

The thing with the Farseer, Liveship, Tawny Man trilogies and now the Rain Wild books is that they're all linked and part of a far, far greater disclosure of a wider story.

What do I want from Hobb? More. And to be honest, faster. I know it's a publishing thing, but the City of Dragons coming out April of 2012, and then Blood of Dragons coming out in March of 2013 - when it's already written (and actually available in Dutch) is a bit of a stinger. That's just me being impatient though.

Generally speaking I do think it's time Robin took the story back towards the Six Duchies and Mountain Kingdom. I'm feeling a little saturated on the Bingtown, Rain Wilds area.

Personally, I'd like Robin to surprise me by tackling something completely different. That's why I gave up on both the Soldier Son, and Rain Wild books. I loved the first three trilogies, but after that I felt she was just covering the same ground.