Hello - and a q - trying to remember an author!

joolzred

thingywhatsit
Hi all, I'm Jools, in my late 30's, from deep dark Somerset.

I'm trying to remember a SF-F author from c.1990-95.

I remember reading 3 of his novels (I remember it was a male!), the first two were more of a mystery-fantasy theme, and I strongly recall a character called 'Lamia', and the existence of a parallel fantasy world.

The 3rd novel I read was a markedly different style, I think he'd been experimenting with the Cyberpunk genre. The main character was a law-enforcement female, and in this novel genetic tinkering of one's own appearance was common - the heroine had given herself pure black shiny skin.

Any ideas?
:confused:

There is a character called Brawne Lamia in Dan Simmons's Hyperion and its sequel The Fall of Hyperion. Brawne Lamia is a detective (well, she is a private investigator) and there is plenty of mystery in the books.

Thanks for replying :)

However the Lamia character in the first mentioned book(s) is a otherwordly, almost vampiric, threatening woman-monster, a bit like the classic Lamia of myth. Hope this helps!

The plot of the first book(s) involved a young man entering a derelict/disused house covered with plants and creepers, then entering into another world somehow via this house. I seem to recall the Lamia character as being a kind of guard/gatekeeper????

The only Lamia I recognise is because there is a song title from Stardust called Lamia's Inn. Stardust doesn't have a parallel world though

Thanks folks, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
But... neither are the one(s).

As I recall the author's name was two single syllables - like 'Greg Bear' - but I've been reading about his work and don't think it was him!*

*edited to add: it was him!

Songs of Earth and Power By Greg Bear, 1992 "Revised republication" of 'The Infinity Concerto' and 'The Serpent Mage' which probably explains why I couldn't find it!! I probably read the originals dated 1984-87.

And the 3rd book mentioned just slots into place now I can google the novel lists! Queen of Angels by Greg Bear.

Really great to meet fellow SF readers - I hope I'll be on the forums in the future :)

The plot of the first book(s) involved a young man entering a derelict/disused house covered with plants and creepers, then entering into another world somehow via this house. I seem to recall the Lamia character as being a kind of guard/gatekeeper????

I thought it might be Infinity Concerto from this. Gah, you're no fun, answering your own questions! ;)

I thought it might be Infinity Concerto from this. Gah, you're no fun, answering your own questions! ;)

Ahhh, but it was only the interdimensional vibrations from this page that inspired me to google the correct search terms - rather like Deep Thought, Google can only give the right answer when it's given the right question! :D

Sneaky and I have to say a damn good attempt at sneaking into the site with the old hello, oh and could you help me... technique. So you don't get the usual warnings and caveats that usually face the new poster.

Well we're wise to that one I'm afraid.

Obviously it works to a certain extent - We see you're a reader and interested in SFF. We see that you must already be hooked because, hey here you are. But we aren't fooled.

It's fortunate indeed that you appear to be familiar with certain a grocery store and you are no doubt also a frequent user of their Internet ordering system.

This is good because you can forget getting out to the shops from now on.

You've tasted the blood of the Chrons. There's no going back into the light now.

Welcome

Sneaky and I have to say a damn good attempt at sneaking into the site with the old hello, oh and could you help me... technique. So you don't get the usual warnings and caveats that usually face the new poster.

Well we're wise to that one I'm afraid.

Obviously it works to a certain extent - We see you're a reader and interested in SFF. We see that you must already be hooked because, hey here you are. But we aren't fooled.

It's fortunate indeed that you appear to be familiar with certain a grocery store and you are no doubt also a frequent user of their Internet ordering system.

This is good because you can forget getting out to the shops from now on.

You've tasted the blood of the Chrons. There's no going back into the light now.

Welcome

Thank you. I must assure you I am no bearer of sprouts of wrath...:eek:

According to one section of The Beloved of my Beloved by Ian Watson and Roberto Quaglia (a book I recently had the privilege of publishing), Google has already become self-aware as Godoogle!
:eek:

Then we can only hope it's being (and will continue to be) distracted by all those books it's been given to read....

(So type faster, Ian: you're one of the few standing between us and extinction!)

Or will Google evolve into Omnius, the "evermind" from the Dune series? - that's a wee bit scary!:eek:

Ahhh, but it was only the interdimensional vibrations from this page that inspired me to google the correct search terms - rather like Deep Thought, Google can only give the right answer when it's given the right question! :D

no, Deep Thought can always give you the right answer, it just forces you to realize you didn't know the question, and like alex trebeck, it'll make you figure it out on your own anyways.