Did Disney come calling?

If they havent called Tim Powers's people should talk to Disney.

I read in a comics forum that the film is about finding The Fountain of Youth.

That+ the title is clearly Tim Power's book.

Actually, the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride (upon which the first movie was based) at Disney was based upon Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides and this fourth is in homage to that beginning.

Actually, the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride (upon which the first movie was based) at Disney was based upon Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides and this fourth is in homage to that beginning.

Did they say that ?

I know its very similar but they could read the book and still not give it credit,saying its their creation which is only similar to the book.

The fourth book has the same plot as the book,title.

Actually, the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride (upon which the first movie was based) at Disney was based upon Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides

I don't know where you heard that, but you should probably be wary of that source in the future. The original Pirates of the Caribbean ride opened in 1967 and On Stranger Tides wasn't published until 20 years later. So that would be ... remarkably prescient on the part of the folks at Disney.

But if they really have bought the rights to the book, I imagine it will be a very free adaptation.

Yeah even if they have the rights to the book, its hollywood they will make a very free adaptation.

Jack Sparrow is more like Blackbeard in the book than Jack Shandy,the hero of the book.

I dont care either way, the only thing i hope is seeing On Stranger Tides get reprinted,better known by fantasy fans who havent read it. The last two film in the series ruined the series for me anyway.

I can say to fantasy fans,siblings who i know are the fans of Pirates film series that there is a real book version of the fourth one ;)

I doubt it was the source that was wrong, I probably just remembered the facts wrong (because that is the kind of thing I do). Sorry to be spreading false information! I'll check next time before I post something like that.

The book was very good but I didn't like it nearly as much as I liked his Anubis Gates.

I like it much more than Anubis Gates myself. It and The Drawing of the Dark is his finest work so far of the 4 books i have read including Declare.

I like it much more than Anubis Gates myself. It and The Drawing of the Dark is his finest work so far of the 4 books i have read including Declare.

Conn, you and I seem to always be on opposite sides of the same page. ;)

Of his novels, I would rank them:

1. The Anubis Gates
2. Dinner at Deviant's Palace
3. The whole Fault Line trilogy
4. The Stress of Her Regard
5. Declare (although a bit of a project)
6. On Stranger Tides
7. The Drawing of the Dark
Haven't read Three Days to Never yet.

I know you have great affection for #7 and I grant you that it was entertaining. I got a little bored with #6 toward the end. Maybe it's because it was the first one I read, but the inventiveness of my #1 pick was a real rush for me.

To each their own.

Declare was a bit too much project for my taste. It was well written but characters,stories lacked the usual Powers quality.

On Stranger Tides i had problems with it early but the second half was a great fantastical story.

The Anubis Gate i like the setting,story but the main character is not a Powers hero.

Ron Gilbert often has said that the Monkey Island computer game series was inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction (and vice versa he believes, upon seeing the new movie), although he has said that he mainly got his inspiration from Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides. Within both the film and the Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge adventure game is a key-carrying dog named Walt, whose name is a nod to Walt Disney.
(from Wikipedia)

I think this is what got me confused.

Oh, and I've only read three Tim Powers books so my list in order of like is:
1. Anubis Gates
2. Last Call
3. On Stranger Tides

My order:

1. The Drawing of the Dark - a deserved place in Masterwork series by Gollancz
2. On Stranger Tides
3. The Anubis Gates
4. Declare

The first two are great fantasy and the other two are still good enough reads.

dwndrgn: You must read Drawing of the Dark as a Powers fan ;)

Well, according to this article, Tim Powers signed the book over to Disney. So I guess that settles that.

It doesn't settle how much of the actual book they will use, however. Considering what has already been established for the films in terms of characters etc. and considering the story that Tim Powers wrote ... I'm not anticipating many similarities.

I haven't read any of Powers' novels yet, but I do have The Anubis Gates, and The Stress Of Her Regard in my TBR pile. Which would you recommend I start with?

My vote would be for Anubis, but then I'm pretty transparent that way. :D

I haven't read any of Powers' novels yet, but I do have The Anubis Gates, and The Stress Of Her Regard in my TBR pile. Which would you recommend I start with?

My problem with The Anubis Gates was that even though I liked the basic plot and setting, and loved some of the ideas, I couldn't make myself care about the main character -- and by care, I don't mean that I wanted to like him more (I'd have been perfectly happy liking him less), but that I wanted to care what happened to him and didn't.

On the other hand, I don't recall much connection with the characters in The Stress of Her Regard either. I loved the idea of it, though.

I would say that of all of Powers's books that I have read, in theory these were the two I should have loved the best, but somehow didn't. The one I should have liked least, Last Call, I enjoyed tremendously. Maybe it was a matter of higher or lower expectations, and feeling disappointed, or pleasantly surprised, accordingly.

So, as to which one you should read first, Anubis or Stress I think you should read the descriptions on the covers and see which story sounds like it would appeal to you personally, because I think they both have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses, and it would just depend on which plot is most likely to engage your own imagination.

Even if they had the characters its not like it will be as fantastical,voodoo,more serious pirate story than the funny action adventure they go for with the movies.

Although it would be cool if Blackbeard,Shandy was supporting characters. Like Orlando Bloom,Keira Knightley characters.

So, as to which one you should read first, Anubis or Stress I think you should read the descriptions on the covers and see which story sounds like it would appeal to you personally, because I think they both have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses, and it would just depend on which plot is most likely to engage your own imagination.

Apropos of absolutely nothing: The novels for which Powers actually won awards were Anubis, Stress (Philip K. Dick award), and (in the Fault Line Series) Last Call. Declare won the World Fantasy award. FWIW.

Clovis its Dinner at Deviant's Palace who won the 1986 Phillip K. Dick Award for best novel and Powers second PKD Award.

Anubis Gates is really well written, prose wise its his best i have read but the main character makes it not a very good start for Powers newbie. I agree with Teresa completely. If it had a Brian Duffy,Jack Shandy type hero it would have been a great read.