Soldier Son Trilogy....

Karn Maeshalanadae

I'm a pineapple
I just bought these three books a few hours ago, so....

Any pointers on what they're like? I also got the last three of four of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but that's for another thread in another area.

The first book is all right, the second book is a bit tragic, and the third book moves at a rather slow pace. I do enjoy the soldier boy trilogy, though.

s.gal83 Summed it up fairly well (without spoilers too :) )
The first does have a little more energy to it - the second had some fire to it but gets a little bogged down (seems to be a pattern with Hobb that the middle book is a little thick to read) and the last spends a lot of the time quite slow, but the ending picksup speed and the twist at the end is good!

I'll be trusting your judgment, OR. Thanks, man. I'll get to reading it today sometime.

I also had the pleasure of picking up most of the Song of Ice and Fire Series as I stated earlier, but as I didn't find A Game of Thrones, that'll be left later.

A Song of Ice and Fire is certainly one of the best reads out at the moment - fantastic scope - and I myself like the fact that there is no invincible lead characters (even if we have to lose some favourites along the way :( )

Hell, treachery and loss is the name of the game.

But that's for Martin's forum, whenever I'll be able to pick up Game of Thrones. I DID get the other three, though-and tried to find some stuff of TE's, but alas, Madeline Howard was not on the shelves of the store I visited. :(

Thing is, I have only cash on me at the moment, so I had to hit the bookstore.

Actually got a fairly good deal....books only came out to be around $5.50 apiece, U.S. dollars. Normally they'd have been eight.

Yes. I think the clerk said they might get Game of Thrones in soon, so I'll have to stop by again sometime.

Otherwise, just sit and read Hobb's. Still disappointed that I didn't see Rune of Unmaking around anywhere though, it sounds like an interesting series.

Hobb will keep you well entertained :)
And if you can get a hold of her Farseer trillogy - its one of the best she has written and the second series after that was also very strong (though make sure to slip in the Liveships between the two)

Yah I'm sort of similar - I don't like getting one book at a time - because next time you go back books 3 and 1 are there but book 2 has vanished! Though with new authors am more like to just get the one book and see how it goes first

I wouldn't have picked up either Hobb OR Martin except for the good stuff I've heard about both on this site.....I trust your guys' judgment on these matters, so I'll give some a try. And to keep an eye out for TE's work, of course.

hmm I think I only picked Hobb up because there was a Dragon on the front of Liveships!
Oh and a bit of wolf stuff in Farseer

It is indeed a sad thing when an author passes away - and heck we all selfishly wish they had finished things before they leave us ;).
All you can do is remember that there are new authors out there just as good, if not better = one just has to find them tis all

I only wish I was as good an author. I can't really write freehand for a long period of time, and with my laptop's AC down and out, well, I haven't practiced much. :(

But, I try to improve all the time I can....

The general consesus seems to be that the soldier son trilogy is a little more uneven than her six dutchies series but having said I think most of the people who have posted here read six dutchies first then soldier son, there's definitely some similarities and a 'style' to Hobbs writing (like with most authors) imo. So maybe that'll change things, I appear to be in the minority and enjoyed the second half of the series more than the first and I also really liked that it was just a 3 book series and not the life long commitment that most fantasy authors ask of us now days :).

Back