Margaret Atwood

Fried Egg

I know that Margaret Atwood doesn't like to be associated with SF but which are her best books? Which would you recommend to someone who hasn't read any of her work?

Naturally, I am more disposed to reading SF leaning work than the rest. Do most of her books have SF themes or only a few?

A Handmaid's Tale is really popular although I'm not sure why. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I very much liked The Blind Assassin, I also have Cat's Eye but have not read it yet.

Well I've got several of Atwood's books and she's more Fantasy than SF I would say.

Here best IMO (and more SFF) include:

Blind Assassin *won the Booker.
Handmaidens Tale (post-apocalyptic tale)
Oryx and Crayx
Cat's Eye

She has numerous short story collection for which you can't really go wrong. Wilderness Tips is one example of a fantasy based collection.

Atwood is a superb prose stylist, so check her out for sure.

Two others you may wish to check out are Angela Carter (one of the greatest writers of her generation (includes many fantasy elements) and especially superb in the short story form) and the incomparable A.S. Byatt.

I remember reading A Handmaid's Tale years ago (around the time the movie came out) and I thought it was good. Can't say much more than that though. Let us know what you think, if you decide to read it.

Well I've never seen the movie Gully but have been told that it was a superb adaptation.

I must seek the film out to see how it compares to the book.