Will Garion/Belgarion outlive Ce'nedra?

Otaku~

Baisicly, I've always wondered about this and now I've joined sffChronicles i thought id ask.

Because Garion can use the will and the word, will he live longer than the avarage person?? And if so what about Ce'nedra?? She cant use the will and the word, all she can really do is use her amulet, so will she die of old age?? Also being able to live for thousands of years would be hard for geran as he wouldn't have to chance to be king...

If it tells you in the books I can't remember :confused:

I'm just really curious. . . If this has already come up in another thread I'm sorry

Are you kidding!?! With a wife like Ce'Nedra, Garion will be dead long before she is. She will, quite simply, nag him to death.

:)

Much as I hate to disagree with Clansman's excellent point Ce'Nedra isn't human remember? She's part dryad and so is essentially "part-tree" (insert wooden character jokes here). She may not live for thousands of years (although some of the trees in the Vale are supposedly here) and as for Geran who knows - he has a good chance of becoming a sorceror like his dad so the point is moot.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Otaku! :)

A Dryad lives as long as her tree does. Remember when she's having fertility problems and her cousin Xera (?) brings the tree to her? Then Polgara makes Garion and Durnik dig up the ice to plant it?
As long as that tree lives Ce'Nedra will live also :) This is explained (sort of) when the Queen of the Dryads is on her last legs - she explains that Dryads live as long as their tree does, and as Ce'Nedra is part Dryad, I'd assume that is the case with her also.

As for Geran, we can only speculate. My opinion is that Belgarion will get sick of ruling and hand over the reins to Geran at some stage. I also agree that he is likely to have the Will and the Word. Also, don't forget he was the Child of Dark, and as Poledra says that power remains with you after you are no longer the Child of a prophecy. As there is now no Dark Prophecy, it is not necessarily a bad thing that he was part of the Dark Prophecy, he has just inherited an inate power from being a part of the prophecy. Of course, that's all speculation :)

No, your both wrong. Garion will die of a stress-induced cardiovascular disease, most likely a massive stroke or a brain aneurism. The poor man has been bossed around by women his entire life, without even a brief bachelor-hood to reminisce about, and a little blood vessel is just going to explode.

The day will come when he just can't take anymore, and pfft! DEAD.

Just think how bad it would have been had Ce'Nedra and Polgara been written by Robert Jordan :eek:

I dunno. Might have vaulted Eddings into a more adult category what with Polgara spanking Ce'Nedra all the time...;) Garion might have liked that.:eek:

Of course, Polgara would have kept pulling on that lock of white hair.:mad:

I'd say unless Garion wills himself out of existence, he's going to outlive Ce'nedra by a loooooooooooong time.

point on an earlier post. The trees that were planted in the garden were brought for the wedding, as nuts. One from Ce'nedra's tree, the other from the Queen's tree (thinking that was Xera, but can't remember right, right now). The fertility sideplot had Ce'Nedra's Cousin bring water and loam to be spread around the tree's roots, Garion and Durnik got to spend a frigid winter day opening up the ground around the tree to put it there.

Baisicly, I've always wondered about this and now I've joined sffChronicles i thought id ask.

Because Garion can use the will and the word, will he live longer than the avarage person?? And if so what about Ce'nedra?? She cant use the will and the word, all she can really do is use her amulet, so will she die of old age?? Also being able to live for thousands of years would be hard for geran as he wouldn't have to chance to be king...

If it tells you in the books I can't remember :confused:

I'm just really curious. . . If this has already come up in another thread I'm sorry
Actually do you remember them talking about child bearing ages? They stated that the Dryad they were talking about was still of child bearing age and was over 300 years old. Also at a certain "age" even if the King is still alive they do turn the "crown" over to the Hier.

i dunno. Might have vaulted eddings into a more adult category what with polgara spanking ce'nedra all the time...;) garion might have liked that.:eek:

of course, polgara would have kept pulling on that lock of white hair.:mad:

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d

I've wondered this for a while, when Polgara marries Durnik she believes she has to give up her powers because Durnik isn't a disciple and the marriages must be equal. Yet Belgarion was allowed to marry C'Nedra who apart from the amulet shows no magical powers, other than the ability to destroy a room in ten seconds flat :D, however as somebody pointed out she is a dryad so technically would live as long as her tree, that still leaves an inequality, she still doesn't have magic.

I eventually came to the conclusion that either David Eddings deliberately left something out to drive us all mad and keep us guessing, or, he thought it was obvious, or, he messed up and we'll never know unless we start hounding his remaining family for details.

Belgarion was not "allowed" to marry Ce'Nedra, Prophecy forced them to get married. She is the prophecised Queen of the World, and even without magic she's going to live a very long time. Ce'Nedra being a Dryad was crucial, hence Belgarath's running around to make sure the Borune women were Dryads. i suspect that each dryad possesses something akin to sorcery, an attunement to nature, that gives them extra perceptions... Beldaran's Amulet was VERY clearly not meant to Beldaran, but meant to be Ce'Nedra's - it has The Tree on it after-all and who would appreciate that more than a Dryad. the amulet had no powers at all for Beldaran, but Ce'Nedra could work it...

No, your both wrong. Garion will die of a stress-induced cardiovascular disease, most likely a massive stroke or a brain aneurism. The poor man has been bossed around by women his entire life, without even a brief bachelor-hood to reminisce about, and a little blood vessel is just going to explode.

The day will come when he just can't take anymore, and pfft! DEAD.

That's funny right there,I don't care who you are.'08. :D:D

All things being equal - no more battles with Dark Gods, no more evil in the world, Garion will live as long as he wishes to. Ce'Nedra will have a long life (Xera lived for around 2000 years or so) but my guess is that once Ce'Nedra dies, Garrion will soon follow as there would be nothing left for him - remember how Riva deteriorated after his wife's death.

Somehow I can't see Garion as a crusty old man with white beard.

people with talent seem to stabilise in their "right" age appearance. I think, Belgarion would end up looking maybe 30 for eternity, with Ce'Nedra looking about the same (if a little younger) for the majority of her lifespan... Queen Xantha (sorry, had to correct the frequent Xera mistake) did indeed live for over 2000 years... an Oak lives a long time after-all.
I also suspect Polgara might visibly age a little so she would always look like Garions mother/aunt, rather than his younger sister (since Pol is supposed to look around 25 according to Belgarath tS).
I agree with the not-much-longer-than-Ce'Nedra theory, unless steps were taken as per Belgarath when he thought Poledra was dead.

But what about Ce'Nedras mother? From what I can figure she lived a normal life span, as her father seems to have outlived her? Eh unanswered questions get anoying.

it appears that Ce'Nedra's mother died. not from old-age. Dryads aren't immortal afterall, they, conceivably, could die from illness, childbirth (this is what i suspect, Ce'Nedra never mentions knowing her mother, and the only thing she has of hers is those Acorn earrings). When Ran Borune is dying he does mention Ce'Vanne's death...but isn't clear on the circumstances (i'm pretty sure he calls her this, i don't have Guardians of the West (or is it in King of the Murgos?) handy to check).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B David Eddings 3
L David Eddings 11
Elyssandrel David Eddings 42