What SF&F Films do you love that everyone else hates?

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I saw this on another thread and it seemed like a fun way to start a thread/conversation.

For me it would have to be Stealth (loved the looks of the Talon Fighters) and Judge Dredd (I think that it's a lot better than people give it credit for. OK, Those flying bikes were naff and he should never have removed his helmet. But it was a good enjoyable romp nevertheless.)

I liked the film "Paycheck" (based on a Phillip K. Dick story) but everyone else seems to despise it. I thought it was definitely worth a watch.

I dunno about "hate", but I know I like 2010 more than a lot of people (a surprising number of kindred spirits on this board, though). And THX1138. And even the first Star Trek movie.

I also take Starship Troopers as a satire and think it's hilarious while those who don't generally hate it, so that's probably the best candidate.

I haven't seen the others mentioned except Dune and I did indeed hate it. :)

Alien 4 until early this year it was my only Alien film and my only source to have an admiration for Ripley. Since it was the first Alien to me i cant dislike no matter every other Alien fan hate it. I know better now though how much better the other Alien films are.

Hey, Fried Egg, I thought Paycheck was a great movie - so you're not completely alone...

And, of course, J-Sun, you already know I'm one of those kindred spirits.

On the other hand, I often like movies that others don't. Don't know what it is, but I just seem to be in the minority a lot. I suppose Cat Woman doesn't really qualify as SF, but I loved it where I know a lot of people hated it. I thought the movie's portrayal of the character was dead on, with her tendency to steal "pretty things," and the way she moved along the banisters in the jewelry store. Like she said at the end of the movie, "I'm as good as I want to be and I'm as bad as I want to be." In all, it reminded me very much of the Cat Woman I grown to like in the comics.

That's the only example I can think of right now, but I know there were others.

Oh, and Connovar: I thought Alien 4 wasn't bad. [mild spoiler] The only thing I didn't like was the "pregnant alien." Sexual reproduction may be preferable as far as increasing variety in the genepool, but it wasn't nearly as efficient and frightening as their previous method. I thought it made them more vulnerable and it seemed kind of corny in the context. Othwerwise, I thought Ripley's character was awesome in that movie.

Well, I liked Stealth, Paycheck and Event Horizon!

To add one though I'd like to nominate Quintet - 70's film unavailable on DVD; bleak from start to finish.

I must admit, with the exception of Cat Woman which i have yet to see, i've seen and enjoyed everyone of those films.

I usually like watching the kind of films that started off series'.

Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica etc

They probably weren't soo bad when first viewed but I know when I find one on the satellite channel and settle down to watch it I get the 'tutt' from the missus and laughter from the son who grew up in a world where cardboard settings/walls have been replaced by CGI :rolleyes: LOL

(Although I drew the line with the flying motorbikes in BSG 2nd Series!).

You can like Paycheck if you havent seen the great Hong Kong John Woo movies.

Not only is a horrible PKD imo but its also the worst John Woo movie by far....

You can like Paycheck if you havent seen the great Hong Kong John Woo movies.

Not only is a horrible PKD imo but its also the worst John Woo movie by far....
Well, I wouldn't say it is a great movie, just not that bad. I certainly preferred it to "Mission Impossible II", "Face Off" and "Broken Arrow"...

Yeah but thats hollywood stuff of his that are dissed. Watch The Killer and then say if Paycheck is a better movie of his.

The Mummy films, especially the Mummy Returns, I thought it was hilarious. But I enjoy cheesey films. I loved Deathproof by Tarantino, that was good.
Also I liked The Mist (or was it Myst) but people I know hated it. I find I usually dislike films that others liked, like Batman Begins, and Oceans 11/12/13

I dunno about "hate", but I know I like 2010 more than a lot of people (a surprising number of kindred spirits on this board, though). And THX1138. And even the first Star Trek movie.

I also take Starship Troopers as a satire and think it's hilarious while those who don't generally hate it, so that's probably the best candidate.

I haven't seen the others mentioned except Dune and I did indeed hate it. :)

Paul Verhoeven (sp?) is a great director and does those satires SO well , incuding Robocop and Total Recall. The frightening thing is that the events in ST (the politics , not the bugs!) could really come to pass

I love DUNE, and really dont know why folk dislike it so! There are so many pickly little details that are wonderful, while not really being so true to the book thy managed to nod to a lot.

I loved the Ninja turtle films, they had snappy dialouge and the suits were wonderful.

I actually like most of the films up here but Judge Dredd could have been so much better, Demolition Man was way better. Alien 4's mauling was totally undesrved.

I found a fair few folk didnt like the village, I thought it was amazing, ok so the twist was fairly obvious but I enjoyed the pacing and set up for those twists. :D

The Happening. I think I'm the only person on the planet that actually liked the film. Though the acting of a blow up doll lookalike was rather bad.