Half Life inspiration needed!!

The_Freeman

Hello, first post here, probably in the wrong place, so apologies in advance. (This could go in the main, search, or computer games section so if it is in the wrong place could a mod please move it for me)

Bascially, Ive spent the summer playing through the Half Life collection of computer games, both 1 and 2 and all the extras from both series. The whole thing has completely blown my mind, the story in particular, but more so the locations, especially city 17 and Nova Prospekt from HL2, and Xen from HL1.

So, ill stop the waffle, can anyone reccommend me books that resemble the HL2 universe in any way, either the story or the locations., or may have inspired the game For example, 1984 reminds me of City 17 with the big brother/citadel overlap. Ive Amazon wishlisted a lot of post apocalyptic sci fi from the reccommendations list on this forum as the whole idea of HL to me is a kind of apocalypse, but was wondering if people had any other ideas.

Hope this isnt too vage, and any reccomendations would be well appreciated.

The best post-apocalyptic story I know of is I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the movie of the same name. No comparison at all as to quality.

You might try Frank Herbert's The White Plague, which I found to be one of the scariest books I ever read, because something like it could actually occur.

I agree, Half Life is an incredible game. I'm really surprised that no one has optioned this for a comic, book or movie. I do hope that the franchise continues. Where's HL 3?

Oh, and welcome to the boards, you'll love it here. What else are you into SF&F wise?

I would be inclined to call Half-Life 2 more of a Dystopian/Totalitarian/Post Apocalyptic environment.

The most well known dystopian novel would have to be 1984.

Other Dystopian novels worth a mention would be "Fahrenheit 451", "Handmaids Tale", "V For Vendetta" (Graphic Novel), "The Running Man" (great book, miles better than the movie ever could have been), "A Scanner Darkly", Flow My Tears The Policeman Said". Yet again most of these are not exactly like Half-Life though they have the same themes.

I haven't really read too many dystopian novels. Though I'd say a hell of lot of other people on these forums have :)