HERESY! Any summaries of the series?

Clansman

Lochaber Axeman, QC
I know that most of you would think this a bit heretical (hey, I think it's heretical), but I am looking for a good summary of A Song of Ice and Fire.:eek: I would really, really, really like to do a re-read before A Dance with Dragons comes out, but between work (which is very heavy right now at 60 hours a week) and family (2 young kids), and new books awaiting a first read (let alone a re-read) the likelihood of my reading all four books in the next 8 months is beyond remote, and I don't want to wait when ADWD lands on my doorstep. If only I didn't need sleep...

I have re-read AGOT twice, and ACoK twice, and SoS once, but not AFFC, which was not as strong an entry as the first three (imo). I find I am not remembering some of the foreshadowing and the minor scenes that are so important later (just from reading the threads at the Chrons), so a detailed summary of each book would be very helpful to this time-challenged Chronian.

Any suggestions?

What about the Wikipedia articles? The summary of the first two isn't very detailed, but the third book gets a bit more attention.

I would post the links, but the forum rules won't allow me to do this. Just type the book name in as the subject.

TK:

Eastern Ontario (small city on the 401 called Brockville), about an hour from Ottawa, 2 hours from Montreal, and 3.5 hours from Toronto.

Thanks for that link. I am sure it will be very helpful.

Edit: I just bookmarked it. That thing is amazing! Loads and loads of information.

Not a heretic. An optimist! ;):)

Well, best information has next May as the release date, about 8 months from now. Not that I believe it, but I find that the likelihood of the release date is in inverse proportion to my readiness for it. I was really ready for ADWD three years ago. Not so now, as I am very rusty on the small details of the story. The less ready I am, the more quickly ADWD will be done.

I think I have just invited a whole lot of someones to clonk me on the head to induce a coma.

Yes, thanks for that link, TK.

Until I saw them listed, I hadn't grasped how many mentions of, say, various prophecies there were in the books.

I would simply recommend the chapter summaries at Tower of the Hand. Don't know if they will be good enough because they are more about summarizing the story than the details but it is the best summary of the series that I know of. Every book is there, chapter by chapter. You can skip through books sticking on one character's POV too to make things easier.

Definitely go with Tower of the Hand. I used those summaries before AFFC came out. If you've been hanging around forums like this one then reading those summaries should be plenty good enough to jog your memories of the finer details. There are plenty of links in their summaries as well that leads to the all of the information they've collected. It's an excellent site and easy to read and use.

Blog of Ice and Fire is doing a fun first time read through right now, he's getting towards the end of AGoT now... It's not the most detailed thing in the world, but it's pretty readable and his irreverence to the text is nice, given how wound up about things it's possible to get. I've got a lot of love for anyone who's willing to just come out and call Ned an idiot. Cause... seriously... dude may have been honorable, but he's hardly the sharpest crayon in the box.

Oops! :eek:

(My only defence is that I got it into my head that this was a "spoiler thread", in spite of the lack of obvious spoilers.)

Last edited:
TK:

Eastern Ontario (small city on the 401 called Brockville), about an hour from Ottawa, 2 hours from Montreal, and 3.5 hours from Toronto.

Thanks for that link. I am sure it will be very helpful.

Edit: I just bookmarked it. That thing is amazing! Loads and loads of information.

I'm in Ottawa.

I am doing a reread of AGOT at the moment. Funny how many details I forgot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Toby Frost Writing Discussion 34
Patrician History 120
D Steven Erikson 2
W Roswell 0