Stargate Universe. Anyone interested in this?

I think that there is plenty of chemistry between the characters. I really like the young actor who plays Scott (think that's his name - the young soldier who went running for water on the desert planet). That guy is really authentic. Their big problem at this point is underusing actors like Ming-Na.

I am much more impressed with this one than any of the others. To be honest, with some exception I found all of the other stuff boring. This one to me has a quality that the others were missing. And, it started out really strong. If this is how it goes early in season one before everyone has their character down, imagine how much better it will be once they get there.

Yeah Ming-Na is good and experienced she needs more airtime.

Scott is too generic to me, the young,hot soldier who gets the pretty girl....

I like Rush,Greer,Eli,Young,Ming-Na's doctor as the most real of the characters.

The only thing i expect better of right now is more SG1 like quality in doing going to a new planet in a good way.

Some of the early SG-1 [i.e. the Stargate spin-off] episodes were almost cringe-worthy (thinking of "Emancipation" here) in how bad they were... yet it's gone on to be "the longest running sci-fi series of all time".

Ah, but... They had good strong characters plus Glassner and Wright were fairly new at it, so the odd dodgy episode was to be expected. This is not the case with SGU, or Stargate Useless as I've heard it called. :(

It's allegedly a character based series, but the first few episodes have been so grungy and dark that I'm having difficulty working out who's who.

So far, I've registered Hamish (Robert Carlyle, previously Hamish McBeth); Grumpy Colonel; L*F (the Last Starfighter); 3B (the busty blonde bint); Whack Job (with the improvised flame thrower); Drippy Airhead (senator's offspring) who's being 'shipped with Gratuitous Sex Object (like they've nothing better to do) and that's about it.

The crew's behaviour is unrealistic. They're in trouble (supposedly) yet they spend most of their time bickering and bonking. There seems to be little or no military discipline.

The whole concept seems to be an homage to 'Lost' set in space, but 'Lost' was so much moree plausible, you cared about the characters right from the off, and there was an over-arching mystery woven into the series.

Basically - and sadly - if 'Firefly' was cancelled half-way through its first season, I can't envisage this surviving much longer.

Best wishes,
Disappointed Hatshepsut :confused:
--

I'm so very VERY pleased with SGU. It's stargate for grownups. I could never really get into the other shows because of all the running around and shooting boogey men with lasers in pine forests on "other planets." By the third part of the SGU pilot I knew they were taking a much more complex path and more true to the genre. I think this show has more of a sense of wonder than the others because I really feel like they are visiting other worlds. Worlds that by logic would not be friendly to human life.

Also I find the characters on this one much more believable. The other shows were fun at times but most of the characters seemed like cartoon characters. SGU is doing a much better job at suspending my disbelief.

I only hope they quit with the stones soon or really limmit the use. Even better have some really nasty side effects if they use them too much.

The main complaint I hear is from young people who think the show is boring. Well, some people think chess is boring and would rather have pillow fights. I just hope the produces don't buckle under that noise and dumb down the show. I can't believe I'm excited about Sci-fi on TV again.

Last edited:
Scott SF: If you want a mature,realistic SF go watch Battlestar Galactica.

This one is not half as good even.

About the original SF, it has many fans that arent kids. Its worth as much Bond as a franchise. It was adventure SF at its best on tv.

"I'm so very VERY pleased with SGU. "It's stargate for grownups."

More like Stargate for randy adolescents in the desired young male demographic.

"Also I find the characters on this one much more believable. [ ... ] SGU is doing a much better job at suspending my disbelief."

There, we'll just have to agree to differ. :) If the military personel actually showed any military discipline, I might find them more credible.

"I only hope they quit with the stones soon or really limmit the use. Even better have some really nasty side effects if they use them too much."

With you 100% there! I thought the idea was that they were isolated from earth. Those stones nuke a big hole through that one!

"The main complaint I hear is from young people who think the show is boring."

In my experience, it's the youngsters that are more interested. Older people, especially those who've been into sf for decades, are the ones who find it boring.

The most fun I've had from SG:U is this:

http://www.pandemonium.me.uk/stargate/sgumbrifer.htm

Best wishes, Hat :cool:
--

As I've watched, I've wondered about the military discipline. In several instances one or other non-com has questioned, ignored or in other ways not jumped to attention when being asked, questioned or instructed by an officer. Sgt Spencer was probably the worst.

As for the stones, it does look like there might be an issue with them, which I won't spoiler for those who aren't up to the current episode(s). Not sure how major it will turn out to be though. As for their use, I guess they're splitting the action to avoid it being "Stargate Voyager"/.

I wouldn't say that I've been bored by SG-U, but it hasn't really been thrilling either. It seems too easy to dislike most of the characters on the show. Other than Dr. Rush I don't find any of the characters too interesting. The senator's daughter being one of the most annoying and useless members. I still haven't figured out why Lou Diamond Phillips attached himself to this project with the size of the role he has.

I think what keeps me watching is some of the very human conflicts in the show. In that respect the last episode before the hiatus was the most interesting so far. Hopefully they will give us more than the vague purpose of eventually making it home by the end of this season.

Scott SF: If you want a mature,realistic SF go watch Battlestar Galactica.

This one is not half as good even.

About the original SF, it has many fans that arent kids. Its worth as much Bond as a franchise. It was adventure SF at its best on tv.

I LOVED BSG. Until the last 30 minutes when the writers showed they never had a plan. SGU is a different animal. I enjoyed the other SG shows as lasy Sunday TV but SGU is the first Stargate show that feels like real Sci-fi to ME and I can't wait for the next episode. I guess I deserve some flack for making back handed comments about the other SG shows. I just was being defensive at all the criticism by young people on OTHER forums that don't know how to support their ideas beyond "it's boring." At some point you just have to decide to not watch it and let those of us (and there are many) who enjoy the show have it. I had to finally get over the devastation of the BSG ending that I absolutely hated.

I am sorry about the Stargate for Grownups comment, it was petty of me. I'll just re-state that I like SGU better than all the others.

"I'm so very VERY pleased with SGU. "It's stargate for grownups."

"More like Stargate for randy adolescents in the desired young male demographic."

Hi Hathesput, I know plenty of adults that loved the other SG shows so I appologise for my petty reaction to everyone trashing my favorite sci-fi show. I don't agree that a show is "adolescent" just because it includes sexuality though I understand why it may turn some of the fans that liked the wholesome approach of the original show. The sexuality in the show doesn't jump out at me because to me it's just another part of life, like eating or finding shelter from the elements.

Also, I was pretty into Atlantis for what it was (fun adventure show) until that Ronon showed up. Now there is a character that was created to appeal to the adolescent male demographic.

I could be wrong but I thought the Military personal were outnumbered or at least not in the majority, but the military aspect isn't what draws me to the show. I've been waiting for a show that's not just about good guys vs. bad guys. I also got a little tired of the shows where people could just plop down on any planet and walk around and eat anything. I'm very interested in exo-biology and always thought that finding a planet where humans could easily set up shop would be very rare and so I like how these planets so far feel more alien. I hope they do more of this with variations of gravity and more non humanoid aliens. Also I loved the fact that they went up to a gas giant and people went to look at it and took some time to take in the wonder. So, although it's not ideal, its more of the kind of show that I've been waiting for than the other SG shows. Maybe if they didn't call it stargate there wouldn't be all the negative attacks and people that didn't like it would just not watch it and move on.

I have notice that many other people like me that really enjoy this show were not huge fans of the other shows. I found them cartoonish but I understand the charm you spoke of and enjoyed it also.

Cheers.

I'm not watching SGU right now but i havent given up on it totally. Waiting for the last eps of the season to see if it will improve.

I have been SG fan for close 10 years and SGU despite its knock off feeling of BSG and co does have potential. If they make the story on the actual ship sitatution as good the first 2,3 eps....

Well, maybe this will interest some of you.

Striking a tone that was more realistic than previous "Stargate" shows though not as grim as "Galactica," some viewers were miffed the show was not familiar enough.

"We're dealing with 15 seasons of expectations with a certain fanbase," executive producer Robert Cooper said. "Hopefully, as the show goes on, people will appreciate 'Universe' for being its own thing."

With a fall-finale cliffhanger that left the ethically compromised Dr. Rush (Robert Carlyle) stranded on a planet, Cooper said the season's second half will become more serialized and build on the fractures within the show's group of spaceship-trapped castaways.

"The implications of leaving Rush on the planet, the real division that will cause amongst the crew, the judgment of those characters and their actions are going to have a big impact on the show," Cooper said. "We have a lot of things planned for the second half of the season."

The show also plans to have more scenes set on the ship, as opposed to cutting back to drama on Earth, and will introduce a full-bodied alien.

"There is a big story point coming up that does introduce an alien race," Cooper said. "It's more along the line of a "District 9"-type alien. Our interaction is handled in a very "Universe" way; they're not the typical "Stargate" alien bad guys."
Syfy renews 'Stargate,' 'Sanctuary'

We can assume that the 'Universe' way is to shoot first and ask questions later, because humanity doesn't know any other way, does it?

"Cooper said the season's second half will become more serialized and build on the fractures within the show's group of spaceship-trapped castaways."

This is exactly the point that the showrunners do not get. I think it's the thing that niggles me most:

It doesn't 'do what it says on the tin!'

Those damn' body-swap crystals made sure of that, and they negate the whole concept of this woeful show. :(

Best wishes, Hatshepsut
--

Hat, I'm confused by your response. It quotes ctg's quote, which quotes TPTB saying the plotlines will change from A to B. You then go on to say they (TPTB) don't understand. That plot A is bad.

The quote says they're moving away from comms stones plotlines. They'll concentrate on the on-ship cabin-fever.

This appears to be what you're after...

Last edited:
Hi All. I recently went the the SYFY channel forums to try to find a way to show my support for SGU and let SYFY know that I like it and. . .

I just wanted to thank all you folks on this forum for understanding how to disagree with civility. I love the show so I praise it, some of you don't like it so you criticize it and that's how it should be. At the SYFY forum, I show my support and give reasons why I like the show and some of the SGU haters there that attack ME personally. I always appreciate people like the ones at this forum that can disagree with and still like at the end of the day :).

500x_aliens.jpg

SGU is coming back soon. April 2 for the US viewers.

The re-run of episodes 1-10 in the UK (on Sky1) finishes on 23rd March. Which implies either c.30th March or c.7th April for the resumption.

Stargate Universe is back with the best episode of the series so far. At last we get to see some new aliens. Looks like the story will finally move forward also.

I believe it's back on Sky1 on the 13th April.
so that's next tuesday (as today is Easter Monday)
I saw a trailer for it on Sky, including Robert Carlisle and that picture of the Aliens walking onto (what's the ship called?) the ship?
Can't wait though, been annoyed that they did that silly mid season stop thing, blooming Americans!