Scott Lynch - The Republic of Thieves

Tillane

Left-minded
Occasionally, just occasionally, following an author's blog is really worthwhile. This is one of them: that nice Mr Lynch has just posted an excerpt of his next novel, The Republic of Thieves, on his website - and it's well worth a look.;)

Yes, very good find. I haven't read it yet, but it'll be interesting to see how the book starts. I was wondering if we may have needed to siege Scott Lynch to get the book released. Since it seems like he was caught up with the whole movie stuff and never going to release the next book.

I downloaded and read it on my phone. It wasn't easy, but I did read it and I rather enjoyed it.

Looking forward to its release.

Wonderful! I can't wait until it's out. Thanks for the link, Tillane.

But Mr Lynch, with these updates you are spoiling us...:p

Yep, he's at it again. In addition to the Republic of Thieves excerpt, Lynch has now posted the first chapter of a free online pulp novel to his site. More chapters will follow over the coming weeks and months, by the sound of things.

HAL asks, Who's Scott Lynch?
Scott Lynch is a U.S. Fantasy author who debuted with the Lies Of Locke Lamore, first in a series of books featuring the thief and con man Locke Lamore.

It's one of my favorite debut series along with Joe Abercrombie, R Scott Bakker and Steven Erikson.

His work is generally well regarded.

Hope that helps friend.

Scott Lynch is a U.S. Fantasy author who debuted with the Lies Of Locke Lamore, first in a series of books featuring the thief and con man Locke Lamore.

It's one of my favorite debut series along with Joe Abercrombie, R Scott Bakker and Steven Erikson.

His work is generally well regarded.

Hope that helps friend.

Ah,dark fantasy. Sounds interesting!

According to Shawn Speakman (Bantam US-affiliated blogger), The Republic of Thieves:

The book is finished and edited. Now his editor will read it again next week, make sure it is right, and then the book will go to the production team.

Publication is set for January 2011 in the USA. Gollancz have the first-print rights, so it will be somewhat earlier in the UK.

Note: not confirmed by Scott Lynch or his publishers directly yet.

Gollancz have confirmed the book has been turned in as well.

The current plan is to publish the book in both the UK and USA simultaneously in Spring 2011.

Thought the debut was interesting but flawed. I've not read the sequel, but if the third gets good reviews I may give it a go.

I have been waiting so long for this damned book!

Loved The Lies of Locke Lamora, thought it was very good. A refreshingly new setting, very colourful and sensual, and Locke is such a charming protagonist (I also like that although he is clever and witty, he has his weakness, including not being much of a fighter and having to rely on Jean).

Red Seas Under Red Skies wasn't quite as good, but the fact that it had pirates made up for it a little. The ending felt a little anti-climatic. Well, before the big cliffhanger. The prologue was a somewhat contrived, but it did its job of sucking you in.

Very much enjoying Mr Lynch's work and will definitely be forgoing food or other silly things in order to buy it straight away when it's out (which is very soon, isn't it?)

[One Amazon scan later] Yes, 18th of March.

Crap, really? That'll learn me to not read thoroughly through whole threads. Well, that sucks.

Amazon, full of lies and deceit.