Ligotti's "Conspiracy" Scheduled for Release in 2010

j d worthington

In addition to the other items already scheduled from Hippocampus Press for 2010 which are likely to be of interest to the sff/horror fans, it seems Derrick will also be releasing a "new" book by Thomas Ligotti: The Conspiracy Against the Human Race.

I qualify new because this is apparently the latest revision (quite a considerable one, from what I gather) of a manuscript he has been working on for some years, and which has seen exposure in an earlier version at Thomas Ligotti Online. Here is a thread discussing the book, for those interested:

The Conspiracy Against the Human Race - THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK

I'll post more information when I have it; and would welcome any from other sources as well....

Say what?....Thank you for posting this, I had no idea a new Ligotti work was on the cards.

This is cause for celebration!

Well, as noted, it isn't exactly new; it is the (heavily revised) new version of a work he published online some time ago. But, from what I gathered at the site above, it has been so heavily reworked as to indeed be virtually a new work.

Also, it's a nonfiction work, but very much (from what I understand) of a piece with his fiction....

I was lucky enough to read the first draft of the work when it became available at the Thomas Ligotti forums. From what I remember (it's a while since I read it, and the machine on which it's stored unfortunately went kaput) it was an overview of various writers, both fiction and non-fiction, with whom Ligotti feels some affinity, as well as a general expounding on his own particular outlook on the world and its denizens.

Whether this bears any similarity to the final piece I don't know. At any rate, I'll be looking to pick up a copy when it becomes available next year.

Also, it's a nonfiction work, but very much (from what I understand) of a piece with his fiction....

Non fiction ? I may not get it then . Not because I find these of no interest, but I can at present pay only for fiction books, not non fiction books talking about fiction books which I may want to buy (the same reason I never bought Lovecraft's Library a catalogue till now) . Granted that's just one type of NF, the rule generaly aplies to all others for me .

Just for clarification: as I understand it, it isn't "about" such; it is more dealing with his philosophy and views on life, using such as one aspect... and that is a rather important component in what I've read of Ligotti's work....

Well, I got an email from Hippocampus today, and it seems this one has been moved up to April:

The Conspiracy against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti
April 2010: 240 pp: $25.00: Limited hardcover
Thomas Ligotti is one of the foremost authors of supernatural horror literature. In this genre, he has been classed with Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft. In his first work of nonfiction, his calm but often bloodcurdling turns of phrase evoke the dreadfulness of the human condition. "The Conspiracy against the Human Race sets out what is perhaps the most sustained challenge yet to the intellectual blackmail that would oblige us to be eternally grateful for a 'gift' we never invited." (From the Foreword by Ray Brassier)

Please note that it is going to be a limited hardcover; and considering how such things are with Ligotti... a word to the wise, as the old saw goes.....