Why I am enjoying Deadhouse Gates

Thanks Lenny! So do you enjoy Esslemont's books?

I think when I finish the ten I'd like to go back and read them again, and try to understand every reference made. I think I would enjoy that :p.

I do indeed - quite well-written, they're Esslemont's part of the baby he and Erikson conceived. They're also quite useful with backstory (in the case of Night of Knives - it's the night Lasseen takes over) and, well, story story (RotCG happens about the same time as Toll the Hounds and has elements that impact directly on parts of Erikson's arcs).

I'd definitely recommend reading them (NoK probably before The Bonehunters, and RotCG before Toll the Hounds).

As for getting all the references, good luck! I'm due for my fourth re-read (in preparation for the final tome) - I'll still be picking up on references to things that happened in the first few books that I didn't realise, let alone references for the second half of the series! I imagine a fifth re-read will be needed when the entire series is finished, a sixth to pick up any stragglers and then one for every Esslemont book.

As for getting all the references, good luck! I'm due for my fourth re-read (in preparation for the final tome) - I'll still be picking up on references to things that happened in the first few books that I didn't realise, let alone references for the second half of the series! I imagine a fifth re-read will be needed when the entire series is finished, a sixth to pick up any stragglers and then one for every Esslemont book.

:eek: Holy moley! You a bit of an Erikson fan then? :p I just have a nagging feeling that I would have enjoyed GotM and MoI a bit more if I paid more attention. But it seems everyone misses stuff, and that's somewhat comforting :p.

Anyway on my eventual reread I hope to get the assistance of any Erikson chronners. I imagine I'll be finished by the time I'm seventy-five, but of course by then we'll have reached the singularity and I'll have all the time in the world. Woohoo!

I suppose I am, yes! :p

The scope of the series (well, all the serieseses) is just huge. You come to realise that so many little things, such as simply touching a dead Hound of Shadow, have huge consequences in later books. There's quite a bit of foreshadowing, too - off-hand remarks seem to have incredible predictive abilities.

Just finished Deadouse Gates. I love this series ... the first two books blew me away, despite the fact that it can be a bit tough to get through. I have one question: does the series stay this good, get worse, get better? I thoroughly enjoyed GotM, and DG solidified it. After the length, gruesomeness, twists, turns, and mystery, I might need a day or two to digest book 2. Aw, who am I kidding ... Ill probably start MoI later this morning.

I think there is a general view that MoI is better than the first two books. Personally I thought DHG and MoI were equally excellent. Enjoy!