As this thread (and the film) keep rolling along, I have to say that Avatar has certainly become something of a phenomenon. People I know who would never go to a science fiction movie have not only been to see this one, but have gone again. My friend in Oregon called to ask me if I'd seen it. When I replied, "Twice", he burst out laughing and said, "Me too!" Another friend, who just turned 70 this past weekend, said the same thing.

I also had that idea, but why do you think the Na'vi look like cats? Elves or Smurfs maybe, but cats?

Dude, they totally look like humanoid cats. I'm not talking tabby here, I'm talking large feline. They move like cats, too. Check it out.

Smurfs - well they are blue. But they lack the hats.
Elves - well they are slim and graceful and they live in a forest. And they have pointy ears.
Cats! Broad flat noses, broad cheekbones, cat eyes (big cat), cat ears. Graceful cat movements. Cat tail. I dare say most artists have imagined and drawn cat people while growing up - I sure did - and they looked remarkably like the Na'vi. Recognised them instantly. Very cool. Marvellous to see them in a movie!

Attachments

50.7 KB · Views: 171
  • r330592_1490034.jpg
    r330592_1490034.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 170
Dude, they totally look like humanoid cats. I'm not talking tabby here, I'm talking large feline. They move like cats, too. Check it out.
Sorry, I never drew cat-people as a child. On more reflection, I see the ears, the broad noses and the tails, but still, to me, cats mean carnivores; long, sharp claws; large, sharp, canine teeth; pouncing not running; and fur. I think I see aliens cats like the Kzin. When I watched the film they just didn't strike me as cats, that is all, especially since there was another large cat-like-thing that attacked them. I never said I was the only opinion allowed.

I never said I was the only opinion allowed.
Sure you did. I heard you.

As far as the sequels go, I don't think they would have the Matrix effect. Those were different because the Wachowski's saw the success of the movie, and then decided to make sequels, arrogantly claiming that they had always envisioned it as a trilogy. What a load of horse radish!

Cameron, however, announced even before Avatar was released that he and fellow writers had enough story (or at least the outlines of one) for a trilogy, but that he was waiting to see how this was received before deciding if he would bother. If that is true, then the overall story arc should be cohesive and would turn out quite well.

Of course, that doesn't mean it will hold the same sense of wonder, since now we've already seen the gorgeous world of Pandora. But I, for one, would love for JC to make the sequels.

Oh, and the Unobtainium. What makes you guys think that mineral is what's giving the planet all these magical properties? I don't remember any suggestion to that effect in the film. Unless I'm very much mistaken (which I never am), the reason for the hunt for the mineral is simply because it's extremely rare and, therefore, extremely valuable. The ones who are after it are, after all, a corporation. And like all corporations, their actions are motivated by profit, not out of some belief that this mineral will help resolve Earth's problems.

Oh, and the Unobtainium. What makes you guys think that mineral is what's giving the planet all these magical properties? I don't remember any suggestion to that effect in the film. Unless I'm very much mistaken (which I never am), the reason for the hunt for the mineral is simply because it's extremely rare and, therefore, extremely valuable.
I've only seen the film once, and it was over a month ago now, but I'm sure it was a mentioned that Unobtainium was needed to save planet Earth. I don't think they said exactly how, but that was why the Military was supporting the Corporation in exploiting it. Can anyone else confirm that?

I've only seen the film once, and it was over a month ago now, but I'm sure it was a mentioned that Unobtainium was needed to save planet Earth. I don't think they said exactly how, but that was why the Military was supporting the Corporation in exploiting it. Can anyone else confirm that?
I think Jake says quite explicitly, in a voice-over, that the troopers are hired contractors, not governmental military forces.

Some post Dave!! Great synthesis. Hints at some kind of genius in Cameron to have given the film so may different resonances for different people.
Another thought - as it is just a film it contains so much - To really get the most out of LotR you had to have read the books (or have someone irritating like me sitting next to you, gabbing on 'explaining' stuff), but as it's just a film, Avatar isn't missing anything. AN argument for making films from scratch, rather than from books.

I think Jake says quite explicitly, in a voice-over, that the troopers are hired contractors, not governmental military forces.
What about the other question: that the Unobtainium was required to save the Earth?

If the troopers are hired contractors, then the Corporation must hold some power back on Earth. I expect that Earth is very unlike the Earth we know today - run by powerful Corporations, ecologically damaged. If he does decide to set the sequel on Earth with the Pandorans visiting Earth, then I think there is scope for a reasonably interesting sequel there.

What about the other question: that the Unobtainium was required to save the Earth?

I think I may have touched on this somewhere at the beginning of the thread, but:

IMHO, the unobtainium is nothing more than a MacGuffin, i.e., something that everybody wants and which drives the characters to do what they do. Good recent examples can be found in the movies Pulp Fiction and Ronin. It's not really important what it is. The important thing is the interaction among the characters. Even the name is a big tip-off.

But read into it whatever you like. "Suit yourself. I'm easy." (Marty Feldman: Young Frankenstein).

Oh, yes, there's not doubt that it's just a MacGuffin. But even MacGuffins have some excuse for existing, even if that excuse is ultimately irrelevant to the greater story.

We were wondering what Avatar's 'excuse' was? Just the monetary value? Or because it can save the Earth?

Keep in mind that several of the characters (the bad guys) may be considered unreliable informers. Quaritch tells the soldiers that everything on Pandora will try to kill them; this is an overstatement he uses in an attempt to bind them to his will. I believe Selfridge is the one who says it will "save Earth". This might well enough be rhetorics on his behalf - maybe something he tells himself to justify the things they're doing. Maybe some piece of official company propaganda. The truth might be far more mundane and profit-oriented.

Very true, but something I had never considered.
I think very few consider this option. People go watching Avatar expecting to see a shallow movie, so moderately advanced concepts, like that of unreliable informers, must necessarily be too smart for it.

This is one reason why I will insist that Avatar was a rich movie, even though 99% of the people I'll ever discuss it with will say it's all effects and no story.

Just saw the movie, and it was an obvious take on the Disney movie, so it was quite predictable and, at times, boring. Hate to say it, but the plot wasn't anything to keep me on the edge of my seat.

The 3D effects were nifty, though.

At last I can see 'Avatar' (minus the 3D glasses)! It's already out on DVD :)

:eek: What's Blue Ray? Is this a serious question? If it is (I still think your joking!) Western Australia must be even more remote than Iowa! Blue Ray is the relatively new DVD format championed by Sony (and unlike Beta Max) has won the competition to become the dominate new HD format.

I do not have Blue Ray and so cannot say whether it is worth the expense. Clearly Biodroid believes so.

:confused: Parson has this feeling that he's just become the but of a joke. Oh well, I can laugh at myself. (Usually!)

Meh, blueray. I had higher resolution LCDs years back. Still, at least they got a winning format pretty quick.

If you *really* want to see Avatar as it should be seen, forget blueray. You want 3D at an IMAX.

I'm sure IMAX is awesome but for home use Blu-Ray is the ultimate until 3D LED tv's come down in price. Rosemary - Blu-Ray is very hi-def, if you look you will see dvd is a bit blurred but Blu-Ray is so clear you can see the pores of the characters skin and count the individual hairs on their heads (if you really want to :)), very highly detailed pictures because they do not need to be compressed like dvd. You also get the best uncompressed sound quality. Check Blu-ray.com - What is Blu-ray? (Blu-ray, Blu-ray Disc, not Blue-ray or Blu-ray DVD)