***Spoiler***The Long Walk

ratsy

I just finished the Long Walk last night after only a couple sittings with the book. I really enjoyed it and the story just flowed...but what was up with the ending?? Can anyone enlighten me to who the black shape was? Grim Reaper...they all end up dying...even the winner? "The next time the hand touched him he found the strength to run" That was it...? Also the last quarter of the book really seemed rushed to me. King has a way of writing a great book and then leaving the ending to your own interpretation which can be alright but this one really got to me.

Please share with me your thoughts.

I've done a lot of hiking in my time and love the book because of that. But, I've only read it once, so it may be one of those "it's great how you remember it but rubbish if you were to re-read it" books. Or it could be brilliant.

And, of course, it's now technically feasible. I did a 100km sponsored hike recently and (voluntarily!) took a hiker's GPS with me which gave continuous speed readings. Remotely monitored versions are also/presumably available. Now, just to get the machine-gun toting guards and some competitors...

I loved that story but was a long time ago so can't remember the ending. I've done a lot of walking myself including a mammoth 40 miler which took 14 hours. Never again!

I loved that story but was a long time ago so can't remember the ending.

From memory...
The Winner gets to the finish line, but does so in near-delirium. I think it's what he sees that the OP is referring to.

One of my favorite stories...ever! I don't exactly recall all the particulars of the end, however, I'm thinking the walker is now crazy having pushed himself too far. He'll either die and the shape is the reaper; or he's only crazy and seeing a reaper that isn't there and he'll die; or he's crazy, sees the grim reaper, but will be rescued from death my the medical authority in the story and he'll live crazily on...

I remember thinking the poor fool was crazy and going to die from the experience, but if I read it now I might read something else entirely. You're right about SK being able to leave the endings a bit open to ones own imagination. I like that about lots of his stuff. Brilliant story, this one.