STJ's complete HPL biography in 2010

Ningauble

Lovecraftian
Hippocampus Press is now listing for 2010 a book in two volumes that can only be Joshi's complete and updated Lovecraft biography: I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft.

My guess is that it will cost around $90-$100 and be available only to subscribers.

YAHOO!!!! Glad to see this one listed.

I wonder, though, if it would be only available to subscribers, as this has the potential to be something to put HP on the map in a big way. With the ever-growing interest in HPL, the authoritative biography coming out from them, in its uncut form, could be a major coup; and the recognition from both the mainstream and academic media on this might do wonders for HP financially, as well....

I wonder, though, if it would be only available to subscribers, as this has the potential to be something to put HP on the map in a big way. With the ever-growing interest in HPL, the authoritative biography coming out from them, in its uncut form, could be a major coup; and the recognition from both the mainstream and academic media on this might do wonders for HP financially, as well....

I hope that the plan has changed -- according to a fairly recent EOD mailing, it was supposed to be "subscribers only".

Well, I've written to Derrick at HP, and yes, it is the biography (uncut), and it is going to be to subscribers only, a limited 1000-copy run. So those interested should contact him and subscribe, as I think STJ is right on this one, and that the thing will sell out in advance, and that rather quickly once the price is set....

Are they planning a future, less limited edition (so that the information is not held by what may be a relatively small group predominantly made up of aficionados)?

Are they planning a future, less limited edition (so that the information is not held by what may be a relatively small group predominantly made up of aficionados)?

I wouldn't be too surprised if something turned up eventually -- both The Pleasures of a Futuroscope and The Atlantis Fragments have been or will be reprinted, and I have a strong suspicion that the same will go for the Clark Ashton Smith poems. So why not the HPL biography?

BTW, thanks, j.d., for the extra info on the book!

I suppose that depends on whether or not the response to this one is as great as I expect it to be. As I understand it, though, any future, less-limited edition isn't likely to come from HP, and part of the reason for this current choice is the cost of the print run, Hippocampus Press being a small operation....

I recently discovered HPL and im in the middle of reading Essential Solitude and im on order for A Means to Freedom.

The letters are so interesting and i really want to buy I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft when it comes out. What do i need to do to get on this subscribers only list? What list with who and how do i join?

Thanks so much for any info you guys can share

-Jeremy

I'd simply go to Hippocampus Press' site and use the Contact button there; ask Derrick what is needed for that.

By the way, Martin -- sorry, didn't see your last post above. You're welcome; and yes, it seems Martin is right, and that -- if all goes well, anyway -- there may possibly be a paperback edition of the biography; though, according to Derrick, it will most likely not be through HP....

I recently discovered HPL and im in the middle of reading Essential Solitude and im on order for A Means to Freedom.

The letters are so interesting and i really want to buy I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft when it comes out. What do i need to do to get on this subscribers only list? What list with who and how do i join?

Thanks so much for any info you guys can share

-Jeremy

I don't think you need to do anything except keep an eye on the website, and if you don't have the time for that you can sign up for the Hippocampus newsletter. I'm sure that Derrick will announce on the website when he is ready to take preorders (at a guess, within a couple of months).

Thanks,
j. d. worthington & Ningauble

I emailed Derrick at Hippocampus Press about being on pre-order and im waiting on a reply from for a couple days now. But im not too worried. I feel like as long as i check in from time to time on the HP website i will be able to get on a pre-order list.

I havnt read any HPL bio yet but i feel from my reading of HPL's letters and anotated stories that i already know so much about him, i wonder what new insights ST Joshi will put in this biography?

-Jeremy

You're more than welcome. Always glad to share the madness....

Keep in mind that this is the unabridged version of Joshi's biography. An abridged version has already been published (though even that was a massive tome) and, in fact, has gone through at least two printings in softcover:

H. P. Lovecraft: A Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The hardcover came and went before I was even aware the thing was coming out. It is now an item commanding quite amazing prices secondhand... when you can find one!

But I very much look forward to the complete version, being something of a Lovecraft fanatic; and I understand a fairly good chunk had to be removed to lower production costs on the original, so there's likely to be a lot of new information here....

Jeremy (and anyone else interested): I just received this today as part of the newsletter from HP:

NEW AND IMPROVED LOVECRAFT BIOGRAPHY.
Yes, S. T. Joshi's revised and expanded HPL biography, I AM PROVIDENCE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF H. P. LOVECRAFT is coming from Hippocampus, and we will initially make it available through an advance subscription. We envision this two volume set appearing in a limited hardcover edition of 1000 copies per volume. If any copies remain after the subscription period ends, they will be sold to the general public. Some sets will also be made available to our independent bookseller friends. We're not quite ready to start taking advance subscription orders, so please be patient.

So it looks as if the opportunity to subscribe/pre-order should be coming up soon....

This is very cool, can't wait. I just emailed them to get on the preorder list.

Just an update that it's showing as being released in June.