Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy

Khale

I picked up The First Law Trilogy a couple of weeks ago and am half way through book 2. All I can say is that this series goes right to the top of my "must read" collection. There is just something about the story line and the writing that draws you in and makes the books very difficult to put down.

If you have not read the trilogy yet, I highly recommend it.

The first book was fantastic. The third book was fantastic. Half the second book likewise, though the other half made me want to throw the volume across the room in fury.

However, Joe is such a nice and amiable guy and the series as a whole is so good, that I'll let him off what seemed to me to be some blatant padding in vol. 2.

The first book was fantastic. The third book was fantastic. Half the second book likewise, though the other half made me want to throw the volume across the room in fury.

However, Joe is such a nice and amiable guy and the series as a whole is so good, that I'll let him off what seemed to me to be some blatant padding in vol. 2.

Which half of the second book did you not like? I am about 1/3 the way through and would hate to think the second half is something not to look forward to.

Can't really say too much without giving a great deal away, Khale. I suspect you'll see what I mean before you finish the book, but, if not, PM me when you have finished and I'll explain my comments then.

Sorry, don't let my grouching put you off. There's still plenty to enjoy throughout the book. :)

Dude, Abercrombie is epic stuff. Bout to pick up book three myself and I can't wait for the fight between the Feared and the Bloody Nine.... I mean, it isn't even alluded to, but there is no way in hell you can finish this series without making those two fight each other. If they don't, I am hunting you down Mr. Abercrombie, mark my words.

Halfway through the 3rd book myself. Definitely one of the most entertaining fantasy series I've read. For me the characters come across strongly, the dialogue is superb and the humour is effortless. In fact I cant remember laughing out loud so much at a book.

To play devils advocate: book 2 has been my favourite so far - I loved the interplay between the quest characters.

Loved it but recently read Best Served Cold and while I enjoyed it I missed the old characters and intrigue

It was weird hearing Jezel just described as king of the union (but I did smile when his wife's preferences were made known) and Glokta as the cripple

and he killed Logan :(... maybe

having said that it was entertaining just not better than the previous 3

I finished book 2 and am about to start book 3. The only that I didn't like was what happened when they found the rock.