Terry Goodkind TV Series

Laerten

Aspiring Writer
I have just found out that 'Legend of the Seeker' starts on the Sci-fi Channel on Thursday at 8 p.m.

I managed to struggle through all the books but found it to be one of the worst fantasy series I have ever read, should I even bother watching the series?

All the reviews I have read about the series (watched in the US) say that it is great but they all seem to be by people who loved the books.

Has anyone on here seen it and if so, what did you think?

I remember watching the first episode and believing the series had actually some great potential! but then, after a couple more episodes, it became clear the show turned out not quite the way i'd expected. in the bad way, i mean.
each episode started with a new problem that arouse and somehow by the end of the episode it was solved and peace restored to the realm. could have been done much better, in my opinion, but people seem to like it, since there's a second season planned...

People who love the books loved the TV series? Really? I'd think they would hate the TV series more than anyone because of how it butchers the entire book series. The guy who plays Richard doesn't fit at all. I read all the books and thought they were decent enough at the time. But I barely got through the first episode and quit a bit through the second. It seemed awful to me, but for some reason it's popular. Maybe if I hadn't read the books I'd like it better, I don't know.

One day I had it on in the background while I was on the Internet...and it was distractingly bad. It seemed something like Xena or Hercules...but with better quality cameras.

It just seemed like every bit of dialogue was so wordy...trying to explain things from the book I guess: "We need to go to see Xartha in the great city of Flaggenblown or else the Garsnix of Fontiddle will forever hold the Plastaq of Power."

Just all of these long people and city names all strung together hurriedly...seemingly to tie up the plotlines...it just seemed so bad.

My sister (MAJOR fantasy book junkie), had a good laugh when she found out I bothered to tune in to it. It appears to be a colossal joke.

It starts getting annoying when people continue bashing authors and the TV shows based on their novels. If you didn't like Goodkinds SOT why do you carry on reading it, get another book to read by some other author and lower your blood pressure. Personally if I don't like the first book in a series I normally quit the series. I really don't mind the tv show, in our country it's a lot better than watching all 3 CSI's (3 days in a row and thats NY, Miami and Vegas), Chuck (fun but not the greatest), Burn Notice (awesome) and Life (pretty darn good) all some kind of cop or spy show. I like the fresh approach to our current tv schedule, they actually brought a fantasy show in for a change. Plus I think its well produced and looks fairly high budget for just a plain old dumbass tv show that everyone hates and no one likes the books. If no one liked the books then why did they sell so well and why was a tv show greenlit?

Although the snobbery in the thread is sometimes palpable, I will nevertheless admit to reading the first two Goodkind books. They were a mixed bag -- writing was generally pedestrian and begging for the editorial knife, some scenes were very well done and energetic, some plot choices were headscratchers or rather odd. I didn't feel the need or desire to continue the series, but I could at least appreciate why they might be appealing to the average reader without extensive fantasy experience or obsession. I agree with the poster who said, if you don't like em, don't read em.

As for the TV show, I actually found it entertaining and fun. (Everyone should have a Mord Sith in their dungeon ;) ) but without that nasty stick they carry.... there are countless TV shows that are straightforward lite fare with an emphasis on adventure and situation. I didn't expect high-flying ideas or cutting edge originality. It's Xena with a fantasy twist. If that bores you, so be it. I'm personally not in one gear all the time. I even like a few cartoons and situation comedies. Must be something wrong with me, I guess.... :rolleyes: