Molly

I feel weird posting in a thread that's been dormant for so long...

Anyway. I read the Farseer a few months after a brutal break up so perhaps that with my somewhat natural inclination for being easily able to sympathise with male characters in love, I really attached myself to the Fitz & Molly relationship. As early on as when they were sitting on the pier as children and Molly asked him...I can't remember the exact quote, but Fitz had an opportunity to express his feelings but was too afraid.

After I finished the Farseer, I came online and was looking at reviews and opinions and I was shocked to find out that so many people preferred the Fool for Fitz. I actually hated the Fool. I thought he was a completely unnecessary character. I still feel that way after reading Tawny Man. I think the books would have been far superior without his story in it at all. Although, I know I appear to be in the minority in that regard.

I think it's just utterly unrealistic for people to have wanted Fitz, a heterosexual man, to fall in love with the Fool. If the Fool was female, then perhaps it would have been different. I can't think of any examples throughout history where someone has fallen in love with the opposite gender to which they are attracted. There is just so much to attraction than merely physical. The Fool was Fitz's friend (supposedly) and confidante and Fitz cared for him deeply, but he also cared for Burrich and Chade, and he wasn't about to fall in love with them.

Fitz loved Molly, yes, because she was a girl and because she was attractive, but also because she was strong, in a somewhat feminine way, as opposed to say Hod (?) who was a strong woman, but in a non-traditional way for a woman. I think some are being unfair to Fitz when they suggest that what he loved most about her was what she represented to him. Fact is, Fitz was his happiest when he was with her, because of who he was and who she was.

I feel weird posting in a thread that's been dormant for so long...

Anyway. I read the Farseer a few months after a brutal break up so perhaps that with my somewhat natural inclination for being easily able to sympathise with male characters in love, I really attached myself to the Fitz & Molly relationship. As early on as when they were sitting on the pier as children and Molly asked him...I can't remember the exact quote, but Fitz had an opportunity to express his feelings but was too afraid.

After I finished the Farseer, I came online and was looking at reviews and opinions and I was shocked to find out that so many people preferred the Fool for Fitz. I actually hated the Fool. I thought he was a completely unnecessary character. I still feel that way after reading Tawny Man. I think the books would have been far superior without his story in it at all. Although, I know I appear to be in the minority in that regard.

I think it's just utterly unrealistic for people to have wanted Fitz, a heterosexual man, to fall in love with the Fool. If the Fool was female, then perhaps it would have been different. I can't think of any examples throughout history where someone has fallen in love with the opposite gender to which they are attracted. There is just so much to attraction than merely physical. The Fool was Fitz's friend (supposedly) and confidante and Fitz cared for him deeply, but he also cared for Burrich and Chade, and he wasn't about to fall in love with them.

Fitz loved Molly, yes, because she was a girl and because she was attractive, but also because she was strong, in a somewhat feminine way, as opposed to say Hod (?) who was a strong woman, but in a non-traditional way for a woman. I think some are being unfair to Fitz when they suggest that what he loved most about her was what she represented to him. Fact is, Fitz was his happiest when he was with her, because of who he was and who she was.

Out of interest, which books have you read? I would strongly recommend the Tawny Man books (ideally after you've read the Liveship ones) to continue Fitz's story - and also expose you to a few more characters to reflect on in this.

As regards what you say about his relationship with Molly - I first read 'Apprentice when I was maybe 15/16 and just starting out my tempestuous relationship with a childhood infatuation. The selfish passion, blind clumsiness etc all struck massive chords with me then (and still do, especially with the perfect vision of hindsight) so I know where you're coming from. I feel as if I'd have like to have seen a bit more of Molly's character from her own perspective, but that's a pitfall of the Farseer trilogy being written in the first-person - you gain such depth with Fitz but it can be superficial with others. I never really understood or bought the whole Fool/Fitz romantic link really, although I think Robin has sought to expand massively on what she was trying to get at in recently finished Rain Wilds books.

re posting my thoughts from another forum as I am re reading TM and Farseer which brought back all the emotions - and I continue to be incredulous at the convenient ending at FF!

Let me first say, I am not anti-Molly/Fitz reunion. She was to me, in Farseer, a side character that provided the romantic element to the main character Fitz. He was an adolescent discovering sex and first love, and needed an outlet not directly related to politics and assassinations. Molly represented this elusive romantic sexual concept that prematurely ended for Fitz. By the end of AQ, he lost everyone except for Nighteyes. Then he also lost Nighteyes. Then the Fool took him/herself out of Fitz's life. So when given a chance 15 years later - with freshly rebooted memories - to finally have the life and love he always thought he wanted - Molly, an instant family, a home, living in peace and having an open relationship with the Buck Keep royals (albeit as Tom Badgerlock), I see why he couldn't give that up. Also, with Nighteyes and Fool gone, Fitz did not have to choose between them and Molly & everything she stood for (sex, home, kids). Not to mention, he has a chance to have a relationship with Nettle his daughter - whom he has with Molly - and an obligation to fulfill as he promised Burrich that he'll look after Molly and the kids. I mean, this was Fitz's Fantasy conveniently wrapped up and handed to him. So let the guy have it and experience what's it like to live a "normal" life. Fast-forward to present time, with the latest book Fools Assassin (which I haven't read), let's see how he deals with real life after the first flush of fantasy is over.

What is real life? Molly, as I recall her in Farseer, was an independent, street-smart gal, who did what was best for herself ultimately. I had no doubt she loved Fitz in Buck Keep, whether it was summer love or not. Love is love. However, her sense of survival is very strong. Recall how she went off with her cousin to find better prospects after her father died and left her with debts. She never told Fitz who the "man" (turned out to be her cousin), and Fitz saw her walking off arm in arm with this man. During their courtship, she was very demanding of Fitz and made him choose between his responsibilities and her. There is certainly NO UNCONDITIONAL LOVE from Molly. Contrast this to the Fool... but I digress. Back to Molly's sense of survival - I felt that she married Burrich because she was grateful to him, she was pregnant and needed a provider for her newborn baby and a companion to get through the hardships they were facing then. I think she had a real marriage with Burrich with all the realities of life, raising 7 children etc...

So when Burrich conveniently dies, life became financially easier with the granting of Withyford lands and wealth - thanks to Burrich, and then here comes Fitz with his renewed ardor, Molly went for it. OK, not right away, but in a awfully short time after being widowed of a man who loved her for 15 years, looked after her during some really hard times and fathered 7 children together. As I said earlier, Molly is a very practical gal who ultimately did what was best for herself. I think this is where my anti-Molly sentiments come in. I can see why Fitz ardently pursued her - I think he sort of earned it having given and lost his life for everyone but himself. Fitz was thinking and feeling like an adolescent since he just got his feelings back. Molly on the other hand, has had a completely normal life for 15 years thanks to Burrich, and who perhaps, should show a little more loyalty to Burrich.

I think my preferred ending would be along the lines of Fitz meets Molly. While the summer love was sweet and will always have a special place in their hearts, they ultimately realize their lives had taken completely different paths and they maturely part ways. Then Fitz takes Malta from Burrich's stables and gallops after the Fool! (never happening of course..).. Or, Burrich does not die, and they all meet (Fitz, Molly, Burrich). Fitz realizes he loved the memory of Molly but not Molly now because Fitz has moved on emotionally..

I think RH writes fantatiscally well and I love her stories but not the ending. She built up Fool Fitz relationship so much, then to have Burrich conveniently dies and reunites a beloved character Fitz with a less loved character Molly... seemed kind of flat.

It is a testament to the power of RH's writing that people feel so involved with the characters. Fitz is my favourite hero of all time.
In fiction,as in real life,things don't always work out the way we would like them to.
Remember though,Fitz' story isn't finished yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R General Film Discussion 0
K Robin Hobb 33