Tron Legacy (2010)

I read on Wikipedia that Tron Legacy is rated quite high by Rotten Tomatoes above 70%. That seems like a good rating IMHO because some movies I liked only just get above 60% and those blew me away. From other reviews they say the imagery is amazing but there is only so much they could do with the story but it does not detract from the whole experience. The acting is apparently very good as well.

FWIW, the soundtrack is excellent. Proper, big, booming orchestral pieces, with a subtle nod to 80s synth. "Fall" is my favourite, an ideal accompaniment (I've found) to driving over snow, in fog. A career in film awaits Daftounk.
Unfortunately, it appears the film is poor. Down to 48% on the tomatometer now, and even the critics who kind of liked it, said it had no substance.

I've got the soundtrack on now (quite fitting, as I'm working on a programming assignment), thought of this thread, and thought I'd belay a few fears.

I'm about halfway through the soundtrack, and it is in no way "poppy" - it's a mix of electronic and orchestral music, and I think it's done quite well. I'll have to see how well it fits with the film, but I'm liking it so far. Nothing has yet stood out as horrible and nor has anything been incredibly epic, which I think is a good thing - music that jerks you out of the film, either because it is really bad, or really good, detracts. Music that blends in is a good thing.

Saying that, there's always one piece of music that stands out - in this case, it's "Derezzed", which is a decent tune on its own.

What language? I work with Java and 6 others.

The language that day was C - writing programs for an ARM chip on a board with a motor, LCD screen, LEDs and DAC output and ADC input.

I'm primarily a Java programmer though - it's what my department teaches, so it's what I program in. I'd love to immerse myself in C++, but I won't have the time to teach myself properly until I graduate in the Summer.

At least with Java I've got a good start for Android apps. :p

---

Just come back from seeing Tron: Legacy - I don't know if it's the programmer, Computer Scientists or outright geek inside me, but I loved it. The grid was stunningly beautiful, the ideas were fantastic (I loved the idea of the ISOs) and the music was top notch (though I must say that there were a couple of times where it stood out too much) - Derezzed in particular was super.

There were a few things that amused me, too - "grep" was very much centre of the screen at the start, the comment about Flynn raving about "genetic algorithms" (one of my personal favourites! :D) and a brilliant one referencing open sourcing which I don't want to ruin, amongst others.

If you get the choice, don't bother with 3D at all. It adds nothing to the film and the glasses darken everything.

I saw Tron Legacy this past weekend. I enjoyed it, even if the plot is rather crazy and the required suspension of disbelief surpasses any movie to date.

I never heard of Daft Punk before looking up the soundtrack after the movie. The soundtrack reminded me of a cross between Blade Runner and something John Carpenter might do. I really, really enjoyed it; I felt the music elevated the film. I went and downloaded the entire soundtrack from itunes.

Personally, I give it three and a half, maybe four stars (out of five) on the basis of pure popcorn entertainment; a real fantasy getaway--leave your intellect at the door.

I thought it was alright, but nothing spectacular. I also liked the music, and didn't see that it was Daft Punk until the credits at the end... I could tell it was them then, but didn't realise during the film.

I watched it in 3D (didn't have a choice, our cinema now seems to offer only 3D films and if you want to see 2D you have to go at 10am. When most people are at work) and took the glasses off for the first half as it did darken the picture and those damn things boggle my eyes anyway.

Movie is quite mediocre
script is bad, dialogues are weak, it has every weakness that usually characterize
popcorn movies
the only reason to see movie is its visual side, it is rather beautifully done, and Daft punk music can blow you head off.
two leading roles, Olivia Wilde and the guy who played Patroclus in Troy. Michael Sheen and Jeff Bridges provide solid performance as usually.

SPOILER
Can anyone tell me how exactly were they going to conquer world, armed with sticks and stylish motorcycles + when laws of our world would apply.
P.S

movie looked better in trailer without 3D effects, which stating the obvious is just to rip people off, or satisfy some rather retarded people.

Forve - Surely it wasn't that bad, the story was decent and the visuals even in 3D were amazing. I try and go into a movie with low expectations then I won't be dissappointed.

I didn't even say it was bad, it was mediocre. Not a bad entartaiment for an evening in cinema, but not that good either.

True, I had high expectations and was rather dissapointed. Cannot agree with Story being Decent and 3D as well, I don't like 3D at it best (Avatar), so it is not surprise that i didn't like it here as well.

"Mediocre" would be generous. Neither the plot nor the art design had even a fraction of the creativity and style of the original. "But the FX are better!" No, they're not. Glossy technology does not automatically equal good art. I was impressed by the rejuvenation of Jeff Bridges, but that was about it.

Clu was derezzed in the first movie, but now both he and Tron have become evil twins—as hackneyed a trope as "it was a dark and stormy night." Oh, and in an edge of your seat "twist" that I'm sure no one saw coming, Tron suddenly turns into a good guy again, dropping yet another "See, I watched the first movie too" allusion. This movie was more like a lame parody of the first film, rather than a sequel.

Winters_Sorrow, Tron may have predated the internet, but computers still networked. (I used a DEC PDP-11 in middle school and "chatted" with a friend in another school.) You'll recall Alan Bradley's description of Tron in the first movie: "It monitors all contact between our system and other systems; finds anything going on that's not scheduled and shuts it down."

I'm Mr. Cranky, I know. I'm very hard to please. When I yawn so widely I almost swallow my own face and have to keep checking my watch to find something engaging enough to keep me awake, I know the movie is very empty.

Back