Joe Abercrombie - what to read next?

Montero

Supporter
Just finished the First Law trilogy, ordered his next book. Then I'll have run out. :-(

Its grim, and big, but very human and doesn't take itself too seriously. It is a serious story, but Sand dan Glockta's little thoughts about the rest of the world, and those wonderful moments when West looks at the two army factions in the army that has gone to fight the King of the North, and the way Poulder's people are all dashing clothes and big attitude and Kroy's folks are all neatness and precision, and the infighting in the meetings - gorgeous.

What else is there? Who would you recommend to read next?

Try "The Lies Of Locke Lamora" and then "Red Seas Under Red Skies" by Scott Lynch. I loved these books (and I think Abercrombie is brilliant too), but the only problem is these are two books in a seven book series...and book three is overdue now, so you'll run out of the "Gentleman Bastards" books too - albeit for a while.

If you're patient though, go for the first four books of "A Song Of Ice and Fire" by George R R Martin. not ridled with gallows humour like the First Law trilogy, but beautifully crafted and written.

If you're patient though, go for the first four books of "A Song Of Ice and Fire" by George R R Martin. not ridled with gallows humour like the First Law trilogy, but beautifully crafted and written.

I do see a fair amount of parallels between these works. Martin is not as humorous, but they both have that gritty feel, the multiple viewpoints, the grey characters and lack of clear good guys and bad guys. Abercrombie has more action, but I loved them both.

I'll second the Gentlemen ******* books.
Though not as 'dark', I would recommend looking into some of Guy Gavriel Kay's work - Sarantine Mosaic, Tiganna or Song for Arbonne. They have lots of political intrigue and bad guys that are not as clear cut.
If you want something that is dark, then look no further than Erikson's Malazan books. Bu tbe prepared for a complex read. There is still a lot of humor in the books, especially when you get to Midnight Tides and meet Tehol and Bugg.