The Short Story Thread

Simbelmynë

D. A. Xiaolin Spires is a relatively recent member of SFF Chrons (joined in 2017, I see) who has been entering our Writing Challenges. She has been very successful lately selling excellent stories to various publications and has been getting many great reviews. I agree "But, Still, I Smile" is a beautiful story.
I did recognise the name, but thought I’d seen it in a reviews article somewhere. A talented writer.

Hummus

wrap it up already
I listen to The Other Stories. Podcast with 20-30 minute stories, usually a blend of sci-fi and horror. Narration is good too (which many shorts in audio format falter on I find).

If you want a place to start I recommend 'Cardboard', written by Luke Kondor.

Finch

I love short stories and this is one of my favourites .
Gene Wolfe's Seven American Nights
It is actuly a bit long to be classified as a short story , but is still worth reading . It is about a young Iranian boy, Nadan , visiting a rundown and degraded America . Wolfe likes the unreliable narrator, and he achieves this by having Nadan take an hallucinogenic drug . Exactly what the story is about and what happens is a mystery to everybody that reads it.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

logolept
"That Hell-Bound Train" by Robert Bloch
"The Fertility of Dalrymple Todd" by Nelson S. Bond
"The Geezenstacks" by Fredric Brown
"The Ruum" by Arthur Porges
"The Yellow Pill" by Rog Phillips
"Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman" by Harlan Ellison
"Jeffty is Five" by Harlan Ellison

BigBadBob141

I remember reading "The Ruum" when I was a schoolboy, it was in one of the Faber&Faber Best SF.... series edited by Edmund Crispin, either 1,2,3 or 4, very good story , has stuck with me to this day.
I think the BBC did "The Yellow Pill" in Out Of The Unknown, as for "The Hell-Bound Train" I'll never know how this won a Hugo Award as it's not SF at all, it's pure fantasy, not a bad story but in the wrong category to win a Hugo surely!!!