Worst SFF Book Ever

Out of perversity I went and started reading The Cosmic Traitor and even for a Perry Rhodan book it is pretty poor. Reads like it was written by a precocious seven year old. Some great crappy writing moments though:

"Marshall appeared to contemplate his own thoughts."

"Levtan was brought before the three traders who regarded him with despise."

Out of perversity I went and started reading The Cosmic Traitor and even for a Perry Rhodan book it is pretty poor. Reads like it was written by a precocious seven year old. Some great crappy writing moments though:

"Marshall appeared to contemplate his own thoughts."

"Levtan was brought before the three traders who regarded him with despise."

Atrocious and hilariously funny at the same time :D

I didn't read 'Empress Theresa', by N. Boutin, but watched a very good but long Youtube video about it:
That book sounds absolutely terrible. Improbable situations, wooden, unlikable characters, dire cover artwork etc... The lot.
The review is very entertaining, though.

There

There were two. I've seen both. (I think - from the reuse of locations and presence of big name star of both Jack Palance only turning up for a couple of minutes at the end of the first - that they were shot back to back.) Neither are good but (from memory) have far less of the misogynistic BDSM slavery than the books - and no Tarns either - just another couple of the era's many routine cheapish Sword & Sorcery / Barbarian films.

Oh MST3K did the sequel!

Egads ! , the movie is actually better than the book ! :eek:

Which is not saying much ! :D

The book itself is terrific. Unfortunate title which was changed in the Integral Edition.

The French just called it Le Wankh:
3a9e3e615b472d3a1c2f3c2493ba7ef7.jpg

But as Hitmouse said a terrific book.

But wasn't there a book that was so badly written that copies were taken to conventions, and there was a challenge; open the book anywhere, and read it aloud until you couldn't continue for laughing; good, trained straight-men could manage eight or ten paragraphs, nobody could do a chapter
Did anyone ever find out the details of this mystery book that was mentioned in 2009?

Without browsing through all eleven pages of this thread, I can’t tell if the word Gor has been mentioned, but the search box tells me there are no mentions of author John Norman.
When I was a foolish kid I discovered his book series and read maybe a dozen or so of them. I can’t remember any particular one being “the worst”, but I’d bet money on the whole series being the worst book series in SFF.

And yes, he is still publishing new ones, according to the list on the wiki page

Without browsing through all eleven pages of this thread, I can’t tell if the word Gor has been mentioned, but the search box tells me there are no mentions of author John Norman.
When I was a foolish kid I discovered his book series and read maybe a dozen or so of them. I can’t remember any particular one being “the worst”, but I’d bet money on the whole series being the worst book series in SFF.

And yes, he is still publishing new ones, according to the list on the wiki page
It must have been. Its impossible to have a discussion about bad books without including it.

Someday, in the future , John Norman will be counted as one of the literary greats of all time. Why do I say this? Because I keep thinking of a certain bus scene in Star Trek The Voyage Home in which Kirk and Spock are having a talk about the giants of literature, Jacqueline Susann and Harold Robins.:D

Last edited: