Harry Potter 6 Movie

Oh, and making the last film sliced in half is blatant profiteering from a brand that's already had revenue of millions, perhaps edging into billions.
/grumble

Perhaps edging into billions??? I would check your numbers cause this brand is way past billion into the many billions region. From the books, movies, games, clothes, and everything else have made tons of money. The movies alone have a worldwide revenue of $4.8 billion and there is still 2 more movies to come out!

I don't agree with much of what is being said here.

First, the last book is massive. It deserves two films. They'll make money of course, and they should. But it is good to know that they are trying to wrap up the series in a good, thorough way.

Also, the ending of the first book wasn't "tacked on", not to me at least. There are plenty of sacrifices as the series progresses, including major characters getting popped left and right as the series comes to a conclusion.

I don't feel like it degenerated into a traditional fantasy series; I think that as the series progressed she merely finished what she promised in the first volume: The story of Harry and Voldemort and how their lives were destined to come together in a murderous conclusion.

Also, Voldemort is one of the best and most developed villains in a while. We have a very deep profile of Voldemort by the time we end the series.

I am disappointed that a lot of that character building was left out of this movie due to time constraints. There were a lot of good scenes with a younger Tom Riddle that we didn't get to see on screen.

It's a matter of opinion of course. For example, I don't agree with you on Voldemort at all. For all the background we get I still feel that he is a pretty standard bad guy, and not a very impressive one at that. Granted it was a while since I read the book, but Voldy definitevly did not make it to my Bad Guy Hall of Fame.

I wish I could better explain what I mean about the books' progress into "standardness," but I just don't have the skills (so I should probably just have stayed out of the thread xD).

As for Tom in the movies, I think he was far creepier than book Tom ever managed, so I'd say the character is still very much present in the movies, even if some things have to be left out.

It might be a good thing for the last book to be two movie, but I still think it's more about money than concern for the story, considering what they've done with it in previous films.

Well, we're talking about a villain who, as a schoolchild, inquired about splitting his soul, not once, but six times.

He was capable of great harm and deceit even at the orphanage where he was first introduced to the wizarding world.

He rose from orphaned boy to dark lord, with his only real gift being that he was a parselmouth. Other than that, it was his drive for power, his lust for it, that made him ascend. He was capable of being a "perfect" student to all those that saw him, but inside he was already Lord Voldemort, hating his Muggle father's name and already subscribing to the racist notion of pure blood wizards being superior to half-blood or "Mudbloods". He was very much like Hitler in this. Hitler believed that blonde haired, blue eyed white men and women were the superior race, despite being a dark haired individual. Voldemort was a half-blood, yet only allowed pure bloods to be his Death Eaters.

I could go on and on. I was very impressed with the villain she created.

But, as you say, it is a matter of opinion.

As most things are ;-)

I enjoyed the film. I found it funnier than the book, I enjoyed some of the character portrayals and I enjoyed some plot deviations some as the extra things they had Bellatrix doing. I did not see Slughorn being played as he was, but I thought he was excellent. There's always going to be parts they cut out and I though that was generally fine, except for the end. It just came out being a bit weak in all honesty. Had they stuck to more of what had happened in the book and conveyed a bit more emotion at Dumbledore's death then I feel it'd have been a much better attempt overall.

For the most part with movies I watch them to see how they handle some special effects and they handled them well in this. Because it takes an exceptional writer with a wholly exceptional cast and production team to do full justice to the world any one person conjures in their mind while reading.

As for Deathly Hallows being made into two films, it is only just longer than goblet of fire and far less so than order of the phoenix. A lot of the book is tedious and I feel that book six is one of the more impactful books. If they wanted to make any of them into two parts it should have been this one, giving a greater portrayal of Voldemort, the difficulty of the task ahead and all the clues that would hint to the path they had to follow.

They foreshadowed some things well, some as well Harry touched the ring, so that those who've read the books will go "ahhh" and those who watch it all again on dvd will pick it up on a second or third viewing. But yeah... this was the book to split into two movies.

I think a lot of the things we are lamenting about this film will be corrected in the next two. They'll probably find a way to work in the pensive and Voldemort's past alongside Dumbledore's in the next film.

Or maybe not.

But we have to give them credit. They've made six films, all good representations of the books, and have done it all with the same cast.

So I'm optimistic.

I'm glad they're going to split the film. There was so much left out of the half blood prince

I'm also in the camp that says split the last book into two films. Remember that they also left huge chunks out of Order of the Phoenix and we are missing all the info on Regulus Black, as well as all those dips into the Pensive to see the young Tom. Hopefully they will play catch up on those.

But concerning this film: it was a very different style, much more adult, and the actors really jar with their 15-year old characters. On the other hand, I liked it. It doesn't have a satisfying ending; you know there is more to come, but that didn't bother me.

I enjoyed the movie very much for what it was. Obviously when adapting any book, compromises are necessary and much has to be left out. However, I think HP6 succeeded far better than any of the others so far. I particularly remember thinking what a mess they made of HP5... That said, I think it's just as well that I haven't read the series since the last one came out and the details are a bit fuzzy. You can't miss what you can't remember. :p

I enjoyed the movie very much for what it was. Obviously when adapting any book, compromises are necessary and much has to be left out. However, I think HP6 succeeded far better than any of the others so far. I particularly remember thinking what a mess they made of HP5... That said, I think it's just as well that I haven't read the series since the last one came out and the details are a bit fuzzy. You can't miss what you can't remember. :p

I thought the first two HP films were pretty much identical to the novels. After that though, you'd be pretty hard pressed to undretsand what's going on in the film wthout reading the book first, esp in HP5

Ok, just went to see this film yesterday and, if this hadnt been my favorite of the books, and if I hadnt read the book atleast 4 times then perhaps it would have been an average film but to be honest the acting was wooden (especially on Ginny's part) and the re-arrangment of the plot kinda annoyed me! was i the only one looking forward to the mass fight in the halls of Hogwarts at the end?!... pretty dissapointing if you ask me but hey

P.S why the heck didnt they introduce Fenrir Greyback!! he was there but i guess it was presumed everyone knew him!

There was a very obvious poster of Greyback during the scene where Harry is snooping around, following Draco near the beginning.

From what I understand, they removed the fight scene in Hogwarts because it would have been redundant when compared to the next film, which features the climactic battle.

The thing that bothers me the most was the funeral. I don't understand why the funeral needed to be cut.

Also, perhaps the funeral will be at the beginning of the next film, but Harry was fiddling around with the Elder Wand in one of the last scenes. So are they not going to bury it with him?

Watched it this weekend - and I rather enjoyed it.

It probably helped that I've just finished reading HP6 to my son, so it made it much easier to recall some of the less familiar bits of the plot. But I thought they did a much better job this time round of providing the narrative background than they did in the previous two films.

Mind you, to be honest, that may be as much about me preferring the storyline of HP6 over the previous two books, as anything else.

But overall, I'd give it four out of five stars.

The fight would have given the movie a little more needed action and the funeral would have given the emotional impetus to go forward. Both were needed to make the movie work, in my opinion.

From what I understand, they removed the fight scene in Hogwarts because it would have been redundant when compared to the next film, which features the climactic battle.

Except that the last book is being split into 2 books, so most likely the battle at Hogwarts won't be in the next movie, but in the movie after that.

I was also disappointed that there was no battle, and no funeral. I also didn't like the changes with the scene on the Astronomy tower at the end.

I'm pretty forgiving, to be honest.

How often do we get a seven book series made into movies that are this good. The movies, in all seriousness, have done a fine job of translating the story to screen.

I'm just of the opinion that we should forgive little transgressions because, frankly, these movies are above the curve of "book to movie" films.

Plus, we'll have EIGHT movies when it's all over and done with. C'mon.

After Dobbie rescues them in Malfoy's basement is my guess.