3.04: Children of Earth - Day Four

Didn't the TARDIS appear in the last episode of series 1? (I can't recall whether the Doctor himself was there, though.)

We heard it at the very end of episode 13, series 1.

The Doctor has never physically appeared in a Torchwood episode (nor has his TARDIS - just the sound), but TW3 has appeared in episodes of Doctor Who.

I think if the Doctor popped up and sorted the 456 out, it would feel incredibly cheap. He's turned into a figure who is always there, and always sorts things out. It's nice to not have him around for once (but it does beg the question why - these days he'd have dropped in in 1965, let alone 2009).

Maybe I just missed something but Jack said to send the video to a specific phone number. Maybe live stream to the TARDIS?

I've missed the final episode due to work and couldn't stay up to watch it on i-player. I am curious to how it finishes, but definitely shouldn't feature the doctor. It would be as almighty a cop out as having Jack wake up and going "phew, it was all a dream"...

Although saying that UNIT and TW do seem to panic and call the doctor for far more mundane events than 10% of the children being kidnapped -surely a bigger event than some of the others he has intruded in...

I'm not sure what the Doctor could have done on his own. Shouldn't there be some kind of Galactic Police Department to deal with extortionists and drug dealers like the 456?

I'm not sure what the Doctor could have done on his own. Shouldn't there be some kind of Galactic Police Department to deal with extortionists and drug dealers like the 456?

You mean the Shadow Proclamation? They own the rhino-headed galactic police forces that are as effective as government CT-squad snipers from episode 2. I guess if the Doctor would've been there, he would have used words "... By the Shadow Proclamation article bla bla, I demand you to stop..." Of course, as we know it wouldn't have worked, as it hasn't work for last fifteen hundred times. Yet, it's nice to hear that the Doctor doesn't give up.

Maybe I just missed something but Jack said to send the video to a specific phone number. Maybe live stream to the TARDIS?

I believe that was back to Gwen and her laptop - when Johnson and her badly-trained henchmen burst into the old TW1 warehouse, she was watching the meeting between Jack and the 456 with sound.

You mean the Shadow Proclamation? They own the rhino-headed galactic police forces that are as effective as government CT-squad snipers from episode 2.
I forgot about them actually, but yes, they would do. They were the plods though, surely they have detectives too?

would they intervene though? if you think about their span of control, they didn't act when all those planets disappeared out of space and time, so would 10% of a backward (in the dr who world) planet's children really matter to them?

It'll probably be the drug trafficking of another species that would bring them in, if anything, rather than 10% of children being taken.

...it will be harder to explain why Barrowman has aged despite Captain Jack not being able to!

It isn't that Jack can't age...remember in one of the early episodes of Children of Earth (Ep. 1 or 2, can't recall which), when Jack is talking to his daughter, he says something about having found a gray hair. It's that he can't die. There's a difference there.

If Jack is, indeed, the Face of Boe (which I'm sort of ambivalent about), it seems like he would have had to be able to age.

lma said:
If Jack is, indeed, the Face of Boe (which I'm sort of ambivalent about), it seems like he would have had to be able to age.

And age badly, at that...not to mention grow considerably fatter around the face...:p

It isn't that Jack can't age...remember in one of the early episodes of Children of Earth (Ep. 1 or 2, can't recall which), when Jack is talking to his daughter, he says something about having found a gray hair. It's that he can't die. There's a difference there.

I thought that was established. If it is then presumably he can suffer a lot of other things to. I can't think anyone would wish to have their face stretched into a picture frame if they had functioning kidneys.

I've missed the final episode due to work and couldn't stay up to watch it on i-player. I am curious to how it finishes, but definitely shouldn't feature the doctor. It would be as almighty a cop out as having Jack wake up and going "phew, it was all a dream"...

Although saying that UNIT and TW do seem to panic and call the doctor for far more mundane events than 10% of the children being kidnapped -surely a bigger event than some of the others he has intruded in...

Not sure if anyone answered your question but basically they all die. The bad children are taken and new drugs will be hitting the street anytime now.

It'll probably be the drug trafficking of another species that would bring them in, if anything, rather than 10% of children being taken.

Only if they broke the planetary 'speed' laws