Fantasy vs Science Fiction: A Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I switch between the two; I like both well written fantasy and well written (hard to find) SF.
currently I'm reading Fantasy but after a couple of weeks of elves, swords and spells I will probably change back to actual hard SF; possibly space opera or military SF for a bit.

I used to love sci fi, but lately there is just so much more fantasy I consider readable. I used to love sci fi that dealt with space or First Contact stories, but those seem to have become rare.
I just don't care about the cyberpunk, computer science focused stuff, or military sci fi that seems to predominate now.

elves, orcs, and that sort of deal.
A lot of Fantasy used to use the Tolkien/D&D template, but that's become rare. Urban Fantasy seems o have taken over. A lot of that is just as derivative, but it's a different template.

Sci Fi can have an enormous scope, but not many writers seem to be taking advantage of it.

If you want Fantasy with a different kind of charterer, how about "The Cloud Roads" by Martha Wells.

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
One of the things that inspired me to write my book was the lack of Tolkien and Donaldson type fantasies. I just love elves, orcs, giants, good and evil wizards, dragons, fair maidens and noble heroes.

Most of what I read seemed to be cookie-cutter fantasies like Raymond Feist. It seemed like he just threw in things just to be different. However, I'm not into vampires and zombies. There are however exceptions: Brandon Sanderson and Kevin Hearne.

Last edited: