?

Which do you prefer?

1. Fantasy

49.2%
  2. Science Fiction

50.8%
  1. SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer Well-Known Member

This is a difficult choice for me - mainly because there are some Fantasy and SF writers who separately hold a collective fondness from me. So I would, in making a choice, have to send much loved authors and stories to be relegated into the dangerous and desolate unloved places of my mind.

As everyone here who knows me knows I hardly ever eschew a dissenting view, so forgive me for my continuance or contrarianism but I feel it is an unfortunate necessity. (Internet sarcasm can be so hard to parse).

So my vote goes to Science Fantasy and I am sat so firmly on the fence it's starting to get sore.

Nov 28, 2017
    Cathbad likes this.
  2. Harpo

Harpo √-1

[sarcasm] very difficult indeed [/sarcasm] :D

Nov 28, 2017
    Cathbad and SilentRoamer like this.
  3. BigBadBob141

BigBadBob141 Well-Known Member

Fantasy or SF.
    I don't mind which as long as they are well written.

Jan 2, 2018
  4. Caliban

Caliban Well-Known Member

I can’t choose. I honestly just file Sci Fi, Fantasy and Horror under one category of my brain and I know I like those genres but it don’t think about separating them really because it’s ridiculous as many authors mix genres.

Clive Barker is Fantasy/Horror
    Alastair Reynolds is often Sci Fi/Horrror

Epic Fantasy is something I enjoy slightly less than other speculative fiction genres but I’ll even read that if I get a recommendation.

Part of this is my interest in reading almost anything I mostly don’t care what. I’ll happily read Emma by Austen then some new Sci Fi by Chris Beckett for example and then the latest Zadie Smith Novel. Maybe I’d throw some old Greek philosopher and a Stephen King book in as well.

I’m aware that lots of people stick to one genre and won’t read Sci Fi for example unless it’s rigorously hard sci Fi and I just don’t understand the mentality. There are brilliant and sh*t books in every genre.

Jan 2, 2018
  5. 2DaveWixon

2DaveWixon Shocked and Appalled!

Why would the fence be getting sore?

Jan 2, 2018
    SilentRoamer likes this.
  6. Cathbad

Cathbad Level 30 Geek Master

It would if my big butt was on it!!

Jan 3, 2018
  7. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental

Good writing makes SF better better but good SF is about more than writing. Ursula leGuin is a better writer than Asimov ever was, but he was a better SF story creator.

Writing is not two separate functions like playing versus composing music. Asimov could compose but leGuin played better. Lathe of Heaven is really fantasy not SF. How much science is in the Dispossessed?

This is why I wrote the computer program that counts science and fantasy words. It provides objective though limited data that reviewers do not.

psik

Jan 3, 2018
    Hilarious Joke likes this.
  8. Hilarious Joke

Hilarious Joke Fool

I like that analogy!

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:29 AM
  9. Serendipity

Serendipity Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that whilst the vote for the preference between science fiction and fantasy is evenly split here, about six times as many new novels are published in fantasy than in science fiction..... my brain hurtz...

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Cathbad likes this.
  10. Ihe

Ihe Forum Revolutionary

If I had to guess, SF fans might be more vocal, but Fantasy is more mainstream? Anyway, the vote is pretty even, so we might not be that much more vocal than Fantasists at all :confused:.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:01 PM