Fantasy vs Science Fiction: A Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
I second nixie, except I haven't given up hope that the series won't be finished (I am worried though!).
Those of us waiting for Jasper Fforde to continue/finish his series(s) know exactly how you feel! We've been waiting for book 8 of Thursday Next for 7 years, book 3 of Nursery Crimes for 13, and the 4th and final book for Chronicles of Kazam for 5. I hold out hope we may yet see them, but it dwindles every year that continues to pass with no books in sight.

Those of us waiting for Jasper Fforde to continue/finish his series(s) know exactly how you feel! We've been waiting for book 8 of Thursday Next for 7 years, book 3 of Nursery Crimes for 13, and the 4th and final book for Chronicles of Kazam for 5. I hold out hope we may yet see them, but it dwindles every year that continues to pass with no books in sight.

Has he in fact finished any series??

Tough choice. But the dearth of SF books I've read lately swung it.

Thanks, Baylor. And you caught it so quickly, I wasn't fast enough. :giggle:

I've only just discovered this poll. :rolleyes:
I went with Fantasy - judging by my Goodreads list I couldn't have voted the other way. (Although SF is a close second)
My fantasy history goes something like - Tolkien -> Howard -> Moorcock -> pretty much anything with swords and sorcery

From a nostalgia standpoint, I would say I began with all hopes of being a SF writer. I did start out that way and did well. Only I abruptly stopped and went into the fantastical realm for many genres. I seem cemented to YA fantasy for now, even using a pen name, and I don't think I'll be leaving soon. But I have to say that I miss writing and enjoying me some great space opera. I think that distopia will be the closest I ever come back to it.

SF for certain. Although my SF is very humanist, complex people and sexuality are important elements in rounding out a genre that the hard modernists kind of flattened to the point of dehumanising . Early Ballard showed me what could be done with inner space rather than outer.
To be honest despite their constant bundling I think SF and Fantasy are polar opposites.

Back