why doesnt folks critique books?

babybro

why doesnt folks review books? I dont understand. I placed my story in the critique section and I had 20 views but not one single critique. i thought the point of the thread was to show your story and people tell you critiques? The story is called the lost legends by the way. And its just not here, its many places. I assume the point of fan fiction forums across the www is for people to give their opinions on the story, not just read it. Maybe im wrong, and folks just send stories so people can read it without giving comment. but as for people who wish to self improve in their writing style, its highly frustrating.

Babybro,

First of all, as an aspiring-writer myself, let me assure you that I understand and share your frustration. It's not easy to try and put the stories in your head down in words, and having done it, you need feedback, some sort of sign that you are not writing in a void, and that there are people who care and can perhaps help you find ways to improve your own writing.

I can't really explain why your story has not been critiqued - was it a very long excerpt? In that case, perhaps you should read the guidelines in our Critiques section - it is usually better to post shorter excerpts, at least at first.

Also, have you critiqued anyone else's pieces? The only way a critique forum like this works is through reciprocity. If you are (rightfully) ired at the lack of feedback being shared at sites like this, the only way to remedy the stituation is to start giving feedback yourself. You'll find that people whose work you comment on will be more likely to check back on your own work in return.

Lastly, I do agree that a fair number of stories do go compeletely uncritiqued from time to time. I feel bad about this, but we're still trying to figure out a good way to ensure this does not happen.

indeed, i havent got the chance currently to review somebody else story because ive been at hard work trying to get down the next ideas of my chapter 2, im almost finish however and will definitely review other stories once i finish chapter 2, but the main reason i dont critique much because i dont consider myself a good writer myself yet. the only thing i can critique on is story preference, but in terms of grammar, i cant really comment because i myself am not a hundred percent comfortable about my skills. I believe i have a long way to go before i can even comment on somebody else grammar. Now story wise such as characters i can give a good basis so if anybody wishes that its good. I was also wondering if you can ready my story, its called the lost legends, a darkening land, the elven sibling saga book 1, sorry for the long title, i plan on taking this in the area of forgotten realms such as many different things in one universe.

Fair enough. I took a look at your thread, however, and it is a rather long piece. It will help if you pick out a 500-work excerpt and get feedback on that - we've found with time that this works better in a forum like this than posting entire stories. I hope this helps.

thanks alot for the suggestions. are you a moderator or do you stand here alot. I will take a look at yours as well and offer comments. but i can only talk about characters and such because im not really good with grammar yet. but ill get there, once again thanks alot for you info. finally met somebody cool on this board. i cut off a pieces right away.

I'll critique your work later tonight. I haven't done so yet because you posted such a long excerpt. It requires time.
If not tonight, then sometime this week for sure.

Yeah. I made the same mistake. Don't sweat it. I got a lot more replies on the shorter excerts than the longer ones and I understand why. Otherwise, you'll find that people here are often happy to check out your work.

Even long things need to be shared, but if you have something long, maybe you could post an excerpt, explaining that the complete piece is longer (give the length), and that you are looking for some critiques.

That way when you locate some interested parties you can email them the complete piece.

I think you'll eventually find one or two people that will bond with you and exchange material, but as others have pointed out, it takes a little time. It is a real commitment you are asking for, especially on a lenghty piece, and actual work, so be patient.

Don't give up. I have met some wonderful and helpful people here at Chronicles. I have a few here now that give me notes, but it has taken some time - LOL! :rolleyes:

Uhhh anyone wanna read my story Final Sojourn. I know it's quite long and may seem a daunting read but it's not...it draws you in once you read the first few paragraphs. Just paste it into word or something or print it. I would really really appreciate it if anyone could read it because I want to enter it into a contest but without input I can't really do that. I should have posted an excerpt but I couldn't find any portion that was right. If anybody could take a bit of time and briefly comment on it I would appreciate it tremendously because I'm in dire need of some critiquing :) Thanks in advance.

Tonic, not that I'm anyone special, but just so you know, I have saved your story on Word on my computer with full intentions of reading it. The day I did it I developed one of those horrible headaches and went to bed. Yesterday was extremely busy and so is this morning. I will have it read this afternoon for you and I'll let you know what I think. Again, I'm not a writer just a reader so I don't know if you would value my opinion.
Alia

critiquing is a lot of work. almost as much as writing the piece in the first place! i do try to do some myself, but a) i have to be in the right (or write?) mood, b) i have my own book plus 3 short stories currently in the works and c) i also edit my sisters book as she sends it to me. i do feel extremely grateful to have a writer sister who will look over my stuff very very critically (you should see the amount of red font we send back and forth in our edits! i had to change my corrections to purple because so much red seems ugly and rude!) then occaisionally i will post bits and pieces on the net just to get some different opinions.
my suggestion would be to try to find someone who is at about the same skill level as you who is also trying to write a novel, and exchange the pieces between you and thus learn together. then it's more of a give and take thing.