The Anubis Gates

@ HareBrain: I don't remember, either; I read it a year back, and my copy is still with a friend. It's towards the end, where the poet Ashbless, Jackie, and Coleridge are kidnapped; probably the second last chapter, or the one before that.

@Connavar: Agreed. It was a strong statement. But I do find Stranger Tides lacking the wonderful innocence of Anubis Gates: the sheer incongruity of having someone repeatedly whistling "Yesterday" in 19th century London, and things like that. Agreed, people should read all of his works.

@ HareBrain: I don't remember, either; I read it a year back, and my copy is still with a friend. It's towards the end, where the poet Ashbless, Jackie, and Coleridge are kidnapped; probably the second last chapter, or the one before that.

@Connavar: Agreed. It was a strong statement. But I do find Stranger Tides lacking the wonderful innocence of Anubis Gates: the sheer incongruity of having someone repeatedly whistling "Yesterday" in 19th century London, and things like that. Agreed, people should read all of his works.

I hope you are right about Anubis Gate because its the only Powers i couldnt get into and didnt finish when i read it. I will try again soon. I liked it early one with his prose that was more colorful than usual, but the main character lost alittle when he went back in time.

On Stranger Tides is so weird, almost horror and it is a more flawed version of Drawing of the dark. It has similar supernatural adventure, historical epic feel.

I would also recommend most of his books.

It has been some time since I read The Anubis Gates. So long that my impressions of the main character have faded. The appeal of the book for me was in the utterly fantastic scenarios presented by the author. That aspect totally caught me up and carried me through.

Powers has evolved tremendously in his choice of fantasy milieus, which has kept everything fresh for me.

The Anubis Gates is the only book of his I've read and it is fantastic! The details are a bit blurry now, as I read it about 12 years ago, but it left a lasting impression. Such inventive and vivid storytelling. It is always the book I'll recommend to people looking for something to read since it's probably not one they've heard of.

Tim Powers is a terrific writer and Anubis Gates is the best time travel story ive ever read.

Read "Anubis Gates" some years ago, enjoyed it a great deal, this one is a real classic!

REF:Revelshade
I enjoyed "The Drawing Of The Dark" but I really, really enjoyed "On Stranger Tides".
I think this ranks as high as "The Anubis Gates", another classic!

It would make a great film.(y)

I went to see a stage adaptation of The Anubis Gates at the London WorldCon back in August and it was a pretty good adaptation. It did convince me that it would be possible to make a film adaptation of it, although some of the later stages did start to rush through some of the plot points which seemed to confuse some of the audience who hadn't read the book. I think a TV miniseries might be a better length for an adaptation than a single film.

REF:Revelshade
I enjoyed "The Drawing Of The Dark" but I really, really enjoyed "On Stranger Tides".
I think this ranks as high as "The Anubis Gates", another classic!

Good to see another fan of those two first books you mentioned. I still havent read whole of Anubis Gates and im starting to think i read it in a bit of bad timing because every other fan of Powers seems to rate it highly. I rate Powers as high as his biggest fans do too.

Powers is one of my favorites. Read most of his books more than once. "The Anubis Gates" was his first I read and I was hooked.
If I were to order his books from favorite it would be:
The Stress of Her Regard
The Drawing of the Dark
The Anubis Gates
On Stranger Tides
Declare
Last Call
Epitaph in Rust
(Just for the scene of the cops grazing on the grass)

Then all the rest are thrown in there somewhere.