Searching for SF-book: Post-industrial, forest planet, retainment dam?

balint

Hi,

I'm searching for a book which I read in german (I think) but is most definitely from a UK/US author. The story takes action on a planet which is (possibly) post-nuclear, forested and the main actor maintains/builds a retainment dam (?) with his father (?). There's also a girl who reads scientific and/or alchemy books and lives in a tree house. I belive to remember that these books were old and from a time where mankind had more knowledge about science. The girl was described as 16-18 I think. These informations were given early in the book, I did not read it past the first 30 pages and now it bugs me.

Any hints are highly appreciated!

Regards,
Bálint

I'm not sure about this, but it almost struck a chord about Fafhrd and the Grey mouser stuff. I'd read some of it so long ago its funny, but I remembered it starting with old guy teaching one of the main characters, and a girl being involved. though a number of adventures start that way. might be something to look into. Author was Fritz Leiber.

I'm not really sure which book you are looking for, but welcome to the Chrons!

Hi,

and thanks for you hint, ghost8772. I peaked into "The Wanderer" and "Gather Darkness", but did not recognize "my" story. Although I don't think the book I'm searching for is in the "sword and sorcery" sub-genre...

Regards,
Bálint

Another forum helped me to find it - although I had so much things mixed up...

It's the Brightness Reef by David Brin.

Thanks again for your help!

Glad you found it, the one I had started reading, but couldn't get into that well was called "Swords and Deviltry" Most the ones I have read that seem to deal with "after the holocaust" lean towards tech is faded out, magic is on the comeback. so they pop into the sword and sorcery areas.

Back