Names

Toto

I'm from Belgium, so I don't have the English books, and I was wondering how the original names are. I know some things, like FitzChevalry, Verity, Regal,...
But how are the other people called? The fool says Fitz a name, something like my love? Anyway, if anyone would be so friendly to say me some names and such, I'd be very thankfull. :)

To tell you the truth I don't understand what you were even asking

Hi, I decided to join because I love Robin Hobb's books, they really are the best books I've read recently.
Ok, on topic, I understand your question, because I'm from Bulgaria and the names of the charecters aren't the original, instead they are translated in Bulgarian. (That is one of the reasons why I read most of the books in English). So, the Fool calls Fitz ''Beloved'' in English; some of the main characters are originally named king Shrewd, his sons Chivalry, Regal and Verity, Verity's wife is Lady Patience... If you need more information, write me and I'll answer :) Or you can see the books in English or just check in wikipeida.

I think I know what you're getting at.

Names like Molly and Burrich are just that, ordinary names. The ones that reflect on character, apart from those you mentioned include:

Cob - name of a type of horse
Hands (obviously)
Hod - name of a piece of carrying equipment
Shrewd
Patience

Then there are names like nosebleed, newboy and nighteyes, which are pretty obvious, too.

Galen - doesn't mean anything but has scientific connotations
Ruarich - no meaning but sounds northern/Scots
Kettricken - again, northern/scandinavian sounding

Please list any more that you were wondering about...

Another point that may be lost in translation is the fact that Fitz is an archeaic word for *******.

Back