The Drawing of the Three *SPOILER*

Conan

Catalyst
Well just finished Drawing of the Three, and I must say it was better than Gunslinger. I liked Eddie Dean (who wouldnt?) but I didnt really care for O/detta. Besides wasnt Sussanah the name of Rolnds sweetheart? Basically I want to know, are there any other King books I should read before going on to The Wastelands?

NO!!:eek: Stick with the Dark Tower series.... I so envy you, reading it for the first time. There is so much ahead of you, it's IMHO, probably the best fantasy series of all time, even though he does dip into horror later... you are just going to have to take two weeks off and read all the others.

I meant should read any king books that have the same villian or even references to the wasteland (AGH you know what I mean, like insomnia and the wolves of calla, I think).

Salem's Lot links to The Wolves of the Calla, but only because there's a character from that story that pops up. Insomnia more links to the final book, The Dark Tower. The Dark Tower series pretty much lies at the centre of all of King's works (which are all subtly tied to each other in some way, anyway). The Stand would link with the appearance of Flagg (and also with a place that Roland and et al visit during the fourth book, Wizard and Glass), as would The Eyes of the Dragon. But really, I don't think there's anything major that you need to find out from other books that would detract from the enjoyment of The Dark Tower series. What you'll probably find is that if you read more King books after The Dark Tower, you'll spot things that might have been linked or made an appearance.

I second Boneman by saying that carry on, mostly because you don't want to get distracted and forget the smaller details of the overall plot, and also because The Wastelands KICKS ASS. It's my favourite of the series and one of my favourite books full stop.

Thanks people, Ive read all the books listed (cept for insomnia which Ill read after Wastelands):D

If you find yourself able to tear yourself away from The Dark Tower series, that is.

I was going to say Nooooo, don't do that! But then Insomnia is kind of like a mini Tower book in its own right, as the Tower and the Crimson King (and even, very minutely Roland) make an appearance. Plus the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, goes off on a slight tangent in regards to the overall story of The Dark Tower.

The seven books of the Dark Tower can stand by themselves in terms of story, plot and character. At least, that was my experience when I read them.

(I can't really say what extra enjoyment one might obtain by reading the referenced books as the only other work of King's that I've read is his non-fictional On Writing.)

No, I don't think there's anything major in other books that you need to know. Mostly it's for smug points when you play King-Bingo while reading through the books.

I couldn't stand Odetta at first either. It's funny reading your initial reactions to reading Drawing of the Three. I just finished reading the entire series in 2008 myself.

KEEP READING! Get the Wastelands, keep going, you must reach the Tower.

All questions will be answered at the Tower. :)