Pauline Baynes

Siberian

Are there any American editions with illustrations by Pauline Baynes? I respect Alan Lee and others, but she's the artist who was approved by the man himself (and she worked on Narnia too). I, for one, would be interested in taking a look at the edition with her illustrations.

She did some covers, maps, and posters for LOTR, but she never actually illustrated them.

She did illustrate some of his shorter work, like Smith of Wooton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham. I've never seen or heard of an American edition of Farmer Giles that didn't have her illustrations. It's one of those instances where the book and the pictures go together perfectly.

But how to find the LOTR editions with her cover art I don't know.

I don't know about any editions which had illustrations by Baynes, but if you can track down one of the maps -- released as posters -- from the 1960s-1970s via Ballantine (iirc), one of those (there were two, I believe) was done by Baynes, from the original maps by Tolkien and his son, and had border illustrations (top and bottom) of, respectively, the Fellowship and the Black Riders (with Gollum... perhaps Shelob as well, though I'm not certain, as I long ago lost track of mine....)

There is at least one copy of LOTR on eBay right now with her cover art.

I had the map-posters JD was talking about as a kid, for both Hobbit and LOTR - can't believe now that I didn't keep them.

Yes, she did do those Teresa mentions; I had thought you were referring only to LotR and The Hobbit, for some reason....

Looking back, I think I may have had one of the Baynes map posters, too, and also have no idea what happened to it. Too many years and too many moves and too many changed circumstances in my life.

But it's ironic, because my copy of the ugly Barbara Remington poster survives to this day in a plastic tube.

I've got the all-in-one paperback edition of c1970, with the PB covers (two panels from the triptych slipcase art she did for the 1963 Deluxe h/b edition), but there's no artwork actually in the book, bar an incredibly annoying to use sectioned CJRT map.