David Eddings passes away

The Belgariad series is ranked the #7 fantasy book or series on the Fantasy 100 list Fantasy 100 - Top 100 Fantasy Books

I've never read him, but...well isn't it strange about artists' deaths? You feel a yearning to read or watch or listen to their works. Anyway, he sounds like a pretty influential fantasy author.

I read the Belgariod when I was a teenager and last year did a reread of them all, one after the other. They were like visiting an old friend you havent seen for years...you may have outgrown them but still feel a strong connection.

I seriously teared up when I read this.

I reread the Belgariad, Mallorian, Elenium, and the Tamuli a couple years back.

Still loved 'em.

I first read the Belgariad when I was 13, and it really is what pole vaulted me into a love of books.

Is there a legitmate claim that his writing is simplistic? Yep. But that doesn't mean it's not still damn enjoyable.

R.I.P. Sir, and thanks for all the hours of enjoyment you've given me.

The Belgariad was one of the first fantasy sets I read after Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I did enjoy it; and passed a very happy week reading the entire series!

RIP, David Eddings and thanks for the memories!

The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Sparhawk trilogies, basically everything upto the elder gods series was , for me, very enjoyable. I was young, had just read Tolkien and was hunting for more stories to expand my imagination and entertain me when it was raining ! (Or just when my parents wouln't let me play out :) )
Eddings filled that gap admirably and led me further along the path that has brought me to the chrons and many, many other good authors.
For such a contribution it is only fitting that he be fondly remembered.
He will be missed.

Re: David Eddings passed away

Yeah, his Belgariad gave me a lot of reading pleasure. I bet I read it 3 times. His wife passed just a couple years ago.

Sad news indeed.

He brought enjoyment with his books, to many people including myself.

He will be missed, I am a great fan of his style, simplistic but well written. I actually felt tears coming on when I heard about this... I really did...

Been away from the internet for a while for unforeseeable reasons, and only now have discovered this. :( :( :( :( :(

I'm a major fan of his work, and I felt he was one of the last real fantasy authors that kept true to the classic genre. He'll be sorely missed. RIP, fantasy great David Eddings.

Ive been away from the site for a little while and did not know of David Edding's passing. I enjoyed many of his book but I guess Redemption of Althalus co written with his wife was one of my favorites. A sad loss...

well tangaloomababe, Leigh passed over two years ago, if you hadn't heard. Also a posting in this section of the forum. A better collaborative team I haven't heard of (hopefully yet is part of the phrasing)

Just, belatedly, discovered this

RIP

I always had a dream he would write a sequel to the Mallorean, which will never happen now :(