Dragon Keeper

ratsy

I see that Dragon Keeper is set for a June 25 release in the UK? and not until Jan 2010 in Canada. I should order it accross the ocean.

Here is the blurb from Amazon

Return to the world of the Liveships Traders and journey along the Rain Wild River in this standalone adventure from the author of the internationally acclaimed Farseer trilogy. Guided by the great blue dragon Tintaglia, they came from the sea: a Tangle of serpents fighting their way up the Rain Wilds River, the first to make the perilous journey to the cocooning grounds in generations. Many have died along the way. With its acid waters and impenetrable forest, it is a hard place for any to survive. People are changed by the Rain Wilds, subtly or otherwise. One such is Thymara. Born with black claws and other aberrations, she should have been exposed at birth. But her father saved her and her mother has never forgiven him. Like everyone else, Thymara is fascinated by the return of dragons: it is as if they symbolise the return of hope to their war-torn world. Leftrin, captain of the liveship Tarman, also has an interest in the hatching; as does Bingtown newlywed, Alise Finbok, who has made it her life's work to study all there is to know of dragons. But the creatures which emerge from the cocoons are a travesty of the powerful, shining dragons of old. Stunted and deformed, they cannot fly; some seem witless and bestial. Soon, they become a danger and a burden to the Rain Wilders: something must be done. The dragons claim an ancestral memory of a fabled Elderling city far upriver: perhaps there the dragons will find their true home. But Kelsingra appears on no maps and they cannot get there on their own: a band of dragon keepers, hunters and chroniclers must attend them. To be a dragon keeper is a dangerous job: their charges are vicious and unpredictable, and there are many unknown perils on the journey to a city which may not even exist...

Ooh sounds quite good, although I don't like Tintaglia. Didn't know about this, thanks for the info!

Yay! :)
so soon so soon!
and it sounds like a good story line as well - interesting timing too since it seems to happen at the same time as the last story of Fitz - so chances are that Tintaglia won't always be around to be -- well Tintaglia.
Be interesting to see how far the story goes in time - I always did think that the first tangle dragons would bond more to the rainwailders than to Tintaglia (or rather that she would reject them) because of their stunted growth - I wonder could they end up with two separate populations of dragon - the first Tangle ones and then the more healthy firstborn of teh two dragons after events in Fools Fate?

I originally heard that this book was split in two because of its length...I wonder if it still is two parts

hmm amazon lists it as a single book and its also listed with the subtitle Rain Wild Chronicles. So that tells me we might see more books in the future - but I think on a "When Hobb is ready" basis rather than a "publisher wants more" one.

its out in Australia already too... i'm guessing it had the same June 25th release date here as the UK...

I am from Canada and we arent supposed to get it until January...that is why I just ordered it from the UK amazon site...I love this global world we live in.

I'm still wading through Renegade's Magic. Won't buy Dragon Keeper until I've finished or I might get distracted...

Got it, read it, waiting for the next one :)............I'll say no more!!!!;)

That was quick..I still am waiting for Royal Mail to send it to Canada and too my door...I will then proceed to devour the book as soon as I see it

Once again Robin Hobb has come out with a great book. I can't wait for the next one to come out! Lucky for me I only discovered Hobb last year so I had a whole whack of books to read...now I am totally caught up and am left wanting more...Oh well...on to the next one.

Hey, just wondering, was it linked to the liveship/assassins/tawnyman trilogy much, i know Tintanglia's in it, but is there any other characters from the previous ones?

Hey, just wondering, was it linked to the liveship/assassins/tawnyman trilogy much, i know Tintanglia's in it, but is there any other characters from the previous ones?

Possible Spoiler

Just a few characters are briefly in it...Paragon, Althea and Brashen Trell, Malta. Not major characters...just cameos

Possible Spoiler

Just a few characters are briefly in it...Paragon, Althea and Brashen Trell, Malta. Not major characters...just cameos

Alright, sounds interesting, thanks for the information anyways.

I just found this thread. How exciting!! The liveship books were my favorite section of the 9.

I only just found out about this thanks to Amazon's recommendations and even though I've just finished packing up all my books in preparation for the big move, I've just bought it... hopefully it will get delivered before I leave this house!!!

xx

Thought I'd take a moment to escape from that horrible burning thing in the sky and nip into the Durham Waterstones, and this was on the shelf! I nearly had a heart attack.

If it hadn't been £20 I'd have bought it there and then. Rather, I've just ordered it from Amazon for £11.99 - should arrive over the weekend. :)

I'm... disappointed. After a long wait, and a different universe, Hobb finally returned to the Realm of the Elderlings, but not in a great way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it's just that I enjoyed the Soldier Son trilogy more...

It picked up in the last couple of hundred pages, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to book 2, its just that it held none of the magic of The Liveship trilogy, and it was a huge distance away from Fitz.

In comparison to what I'm accustomed to getting from Hobb, the characters seemed flat and only half thought out (they suffer even more from being third person), and the story itself never really took off (though I will say that the next book, and however more there are, have a base from which they can build great things) - I found myself anticipating the letters between Erek and Detozi more than the next part of the story...

So yeah, I'm disappointed (and glad that i got it for a tenner, rather than the full price of £20), but I will pre-order the second when it becomes available, simply because Hobb is Hobb.

Back