Fantasy Tennis Anyone?

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
The French Open starts on Monday. I hereby throw down the gauntlet. Come and pick a fantasy tennis team (for the men's draw and the women's) and take on the authors who've been trapped by monsters. There are prizes. Entry is free. You have until Sunday night. That's all you need to know.

See www.trappedbymonsters.com

I would have enjoyed that if I'd spotted it earlier. Is there gonna be one for Wimbledon?

That's the spirit! It would be great to see more teams up this time. I see Joe Craig - author of the fantastic Jimmy Coates books has put a team up already. He won a box of fudge off me at the French Open - not happy! Will have to make sure I pick a stronger side this time.

You've got a good team.

Your men's team is very very strong, and a couple of your women should do really well.

Great that this is being run again.

My team's Thaddeus+11.

For the men I've gone for the big 3 and anyone else I can afford. For the women I've gone for a few big names but a more evenly spread team with more middle-rankers.

I actually bet a little on tennis so it'll be interesting to see how I do. For the record, I'll be staggered if anyone but Nadal, Federer or Murray wins it for the men.

Nadal could be pulling out. If he's fit he won't be 100%.

I'd be reluctant to pay 13m for him.

If Nadal does pull out I'll go for people like Simon or Tsonga to make up the numbers.

I agree he won't be 100% at the start, but he's still a class apart from almost everyone else in the field. Still, I may reconsider that particular purchase.

Whoever you choose, it would be a good idea to check on Sunday afternoon to make sure that:

a/ They have not withdrawn.

b/ They've not been drawn against one another in the first round! (I've done that before!)

The draw is being made on Sunday and will be available on the official Wimbledon site. I'm not sure exactly when they stop you from altering your team, but I imagine it will be at some point on Sunday evening.

Good luck everyone. :)

Aye, the main one for me would be Nadal. It would be a net plus if he withdrew, as then Murray and Federer would be hot favourites to reach the final, and I could afford some middling players rather than the ones I've got now making up the numbers.

Cheers for the link.

Obviously I removed Nadal, got Tsonga and Simon with the extra cash. Had to make just the one change from the draw.

Should be fun to see how well I do :)

I struggled a lot trying to shuffle my players because of the draw.

I had most of them in one quarter of the draw.

I had a few problems as well. Fortunately the mens' draw worked very well with my choices, but the ladies caused me more problems. Should be fun to see how we fair. :)

Just waiting for Haas' result. Otherwise seems reasonable. Doing mostly well with the ladies though two went crashing out.

Don't think I've lost a chap so far (touch wood). Glad to see Federer romping home to victory.

My men's team are flying. If Haas and Llodra win their matches today... I'm gonna be in a great position.