Moorcock's science fiction?

I meant i want more than straight up fantasy or sf, i have read many authors who blended in other elements,tries different things in their SFF. I want to explore different types of books. Not just typical fantasy or SF. I dont expect that from Moorcock either when i see what his rated books,series is about. Eternal Champion,alternate worlds,all his themes isnt exactly easiest thing to read which is a good thing.

The Dancers at the End of Time actually appeals to me alot, far future,dying earth and the comic story i want to read alittle later. Humour in fantastic setting can be a great thing. I like to read humour when ever i find it in the hands of a good writer.

Next i will go for one of the sf books you recommend then i will read Hawkind(sounds like a different hero of his) Von Bek,Gloriana,Behold the man,Jerry Cornelius. So dont worry about me not seeing what is good about mature Moorcock.

I want to read more and more of his books when i read what they are about. Just read one of those stand alones and then focous one of those series.

Next i will go for one of the sf books you recommend then i will read Hawkind(sounds like a different hero of his)

"Hawkwind"? Are you referring to "Hawkmoon", or the books using Hawkwind (the British band) in an sff milieu? Hawkmoon, in way, wraps up the Eternal Champion cycle with the final set of three books (Count Brass, The Champion of Garathorm, The Quest for Tanelorn); while the Hawklords books, though the first at least was partially Moorcock's idea, were written by Michael Butterworth. Odd books, those... though I wish to blazes the final one had actually seen print....:(

"Hawkwind"? Are you referring to "Hawkmoon", or the books using Hawkwind (the British band) in an sff milieu? Hawkmoon, in way, wraps up the Eternal Champion cycle with the final set of three books (Count Brass, The Champion of Garathorm, The Quest for Tanelorn); while the Hawklords books, though the first at least was partially Moorcock's idea, were written by Michael Butterworth. Odd books, those... though I wish to blazes the final one had actually seen print....:(

Hehe i of course mean Hawkmoon first few books that isnt connected to Eternal Champion cycle . I read Hawkmoon was a different hero,the setting,story sound interesting.

Hehe i of course mean Hawkmoon first few books that isnt connected to Eternal Champion cycle . I read Hawkmoon was a different hero,the setting,story sound interesting.

Eh? Hawkmoon is most definitely a part of the Eternal Champion cycle; whether you go for the original four books or the later "Castle Brass" trilogy, Hawkmoon is intimately tied to the rest of that series (he himself features in one of the tales in the Elric volume Sailor on the Seas of Fate, along with Elric himself, Corum, and Erekosë, and the volume titled Hawkmoon is the third in both the Millennium/Orion and White Wolf sets of the Eternal Champion series....

However, I can't say I find the Hawkmoon books overall quite as good as many of his other works. The first four, unfortunately, were among those written in such haste, to pay the bills for New Worlds magazine. They aren't bad books, but somewhere in Moorcock's middle range. Some fine things in there, but just not as strong as they could have been....

Eh? Hawkmoon is most definitely a part of the Eternal Champion cycle; whether you go for the original four books or the later "Castle Brass" trilogy, Hawkmoon is intimately tied to the rest of that series (he himself features in one of the tales in the Elric volume Sailor on the Seas of Fate, along with Elric himself, Corum, and Erekosë, and the volume titled Hawkmoon is the third in both the Millennium/Orion and White Wolf sets of the Eternal Champion series....

However, I can't say I find the Hawkmoon books overall quite as good as many of his other works. The first four, unfortunately, were among those written in such haste, to pay the bills for New Worlds magazine. They aren't bad books, but somewhere in Moorcock's middle range. Some fine things in there, but just not as strong as they could have been....

Well they are not my first choice as next read of MM. The first book sounded intresting.

I was going by synopsis,character of the first book. Not sure if it is good enough to read all the books before i read the first. I was thinking about sampling the different fantasy series of his. Von Bek,Hawkmoon is left for me now to try. They dont have to be great to be enjoyable.

I decided to order these two books to read next Behold the Man and Blood: A Southern Fantasy for mature Moorcock after listing to this topic and your last recommendation posts.

I only have one caveat for you where Blood is concerned: when you hit that second section, try not to have the reaction I initially had to it, and think that Moorcock had gone completely 'round the bend. Keep reading. That section (and one other) is deliberately rough, crude, and pulpish, and for a good reason... and there was definitely method to his madness with this one, with the result that in the end it turns out to be a brilliant technique by the end of the novel.....

Back