Star Trek (2009)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
SFX reports on meeting Patrick Stewart, and how there's a lot of chatter from investors on bringing on a new Star Trek film:
http://www.sfx.co.uk/news/patrick_stewart_to_trek_again

Stewart is apparently commited to the RSC for the next 16 months, apparently - but it will be interesting to see if anything develops from this.

Star Trek could certainly produce mass market movies when it wanted to - Star Trek I and II, for example - but the Next Generation movies have suffered from increasingly poor writing.

Let's see if outsiders can come in and pump much needed like into a franchise that otherwise became too self-narcissic.

I would like to see another Next Gen movie, they were my favourite characters :D

Great! :)
I thought the end of Data was the end of Star Trek. With no Data, a new Star Trek movie is no good :(
They lost me as a fan when they killed Data:mad:

Producers of the show made a huge mistake with Enterprise. Although a lot of the episodes were really good, the whole philosophy of Star Trek is to look forward to a positive future - not return to a pre-Kirk era with oodles of continutity errors.

The new film is nearly certainly going to be a prequel - another HUGE mistake. It should be something new and groundbreaking set way beyond Voyager's return with no former cast members (except in perhaps cameo roles).

As you all know by now, writer-producer J.J. Abrams, creator of hit tv shows "Lost", "Felicity", and "Alias" has been selected by Paramount to write and direct the eleventh Star Trek movie. The storyline will explore the early days of Kirk and Spock's first encounter at Starfleet Academy. I must admit that I have mixed feelings about this because on one hand, Abrams has an excellent track record in regards to the aforementioned tv shows, however, from what I understand, he also has a tendency to abandon his current projects or at the very least, not put as much passion in them because he wants to tackle other projects simultaneously. As a result, his current projects tend to have a drop in quality. If that is the case, I hope he learns from his mistakes when approaching this latest Trek movie because this franchise is on the brink of death as it is. Here is an article that suggests that Trek XI is a reboot:

<<"Star Trek" is dead, long live "Star Trek". Paramount is resurrecting its "Star Trek" franchise by setting "Mission: Impossible III" helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the eleventh "Star Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release reports Variety.

Abrams, who's highly buzzed M:I-III marks his feature directing debut, is most famous for creating and producing such hit series as "Lost", "Alias" and "Felicity". Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from "Lost," also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project, to be penned by Abrams and "Alias"/M:I-III scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, looks like it'll be a prequel of the franchise with the story set in the early days of original series characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock - including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

"Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six shows spanning five decades.

The decision to relaunch comes a year after UPN pulled the plug on "Star Trek: Enterprise" amid dismal ratings, and four years after "Star Trek: Nemesis" turned in the worst performance of the ten films with $43 million domestic.

Its expected long time producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga will not be involved and their proposed plans for an eleventh feature, including a script by Erik Jendresen, have been scrapped.>>

And here is the link:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060421h.php

Thoughts anyone?

Well, prequels are the business at the moment (including the mentioned Bond franchise) so as long as they stick to plot, "realism" and current best practice...

I would be very leery of Spock and Kirk's first meeting at Star Fleet Academy since there was never any reference of their long acquaintence in the original series. I remember the movie Young Sherlock Holmes showing the first meeting of Holmes and Watson. Apparently nobody associated with the film had read A Study in Scarlet in which Watson carefully documents their first meeting as adults. Many people, myself included have seen the original series episodes many times. (I have a large number myself, I'd hate to think what the fanatics have.) Mistakes in the timeline will be noticed and ruin the movie for dedicated fans. the movies have made some mistakes already will characters lesser than Kirk and Spock. (Note: Zephraim Cochron from Montanan rather than Alpha Centari) Mistakes with Kirk and Spock might be much harder to ignore.

Actor Chris Pine has been announced to play the role of the young Captain Kirk for the new Star Trek film:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Star Trek film names Kirk actor

[imageleft]http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/attachments/15194d1192793097-chris-pine-to-play-kirk-in-new-trek-chris-pine.jpg[/imageleft]

Little-known actor Chris Pine has been chosen to play the young Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek movie.

Lord of the Rings actor Karl Urban will play Leonard "Bones" McCoy, the Starship Enterprise's medical officer.

The film, which chronicles the early days of the Enterprise crew, will be released in the US on 25 December 2008.

The movie will show the crew meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.

I've also read that Simon Pegg (spaced, Shaun of the dead ) has been offered the part of young Scotty.

Yes, there's a thread about that somewhere here.:) I'll have to find it out.

I'm not the biggest Trek fan, but I've seen some of the other films. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

I've got to admit, though intellectually the new Star Trek film sounds like an awful idea, emotionally it does sound like it'll deliver very strong on nostalgia value and presentation.

Its painfull to admit, but there is every chance that this film will be the beginning of a new start to star trek - a new series of the crews earliest adventures and thus be a totally new time line of star trek

Hay, they could do one of those timeline/dimension crossing episodes and meet up with the star trek groups from the current time line

...really looking forward to this movie....rumors are flowing also of a cameo from William Shatner as Captain Kirk...found a website called Bring Back Kirk: The Official Site it has letter writing info....it also has links to a 9 minute movie on utube...if you are a William Shatner(Captain Kirk) fan...check this little movie out...also very happy with the selection of Karl Urban as Bones...for a dinosaur like me (40 yrs old)...would really like to see William Shatner one more time...

"and yet i can't help wondering about the friend i leave behind, there are always possibilities spock said" -James T. Kirk --Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Despite JJ Abrams pedigree, this appears to be the nadir of Parmounts attempt to recreat the appeal of the Star Trek franchise. I personally have severe doubts as to any positive result from the new movie, considering the suits repeated failures at updates with Voyager (Star Trek meets Space 1999 by way of Gilligan's Island - except completely unfunny) to Enterprise (a pathetic attempt to one up the original series at every possible turn).

The fact that this is an 'origin movie' is even more reprehensible, IMHO

PS. I didn't care much for either Batman Begins or the Daniel Craig 007, let alone the new Battlestar, so that may color my views.

Producers of the show made a huge mistake with Enterprise. Although a lot of the episodes were really good, the whole philosophy of Star Trek is to look forward to a positive future - not return to a pre-Kirk era with oodles of continutity errors.

The new film is nearly certainly going to be a prequel - another HUGE mistake. It should be something new and groundbreaking set way beyond Voyager's return with no former cast members (except in perhaps cameo roles).

I am so sick of people complaing about continutity errors in enterprise. STNG would have continutity errors from one episode to another, from one season to the next. :mad: There are continuity problems from the original series to the next generation. so please just drop it, Enterprise was an excellent series.