I'm New Here

Shasta

Hey I'm new here. I just recently started reading The Pern Books & I love them I've been reading them for about two weeks and can't put them down. I've read the harper hall trilogy, and the first book in the pern set I've just started the second they're great. I've almost bought them all and can't wait to read them. I love that their are so many I hate comming to the end of a series it's like losing a friend. But if their are enough books in a set you can just start over (I forget by then anyway :) ) Anyway I was just browsing around and found this sight. So hi yall.

Its always great to meet another maccaffrey fan. try the tower and hive series, i can highly recomend them

Thank you I will, I just can't put her books down and I've never been much of a fantacy reader but these are great I just started the ship who sang. Someone told me that her best books were the Pegesus trilogy but I can't find them any ideas?

i picked up mine on amazon and e-bay. they're relativly cheap. most libraries will carry them. the series is tower and hive. the first book written in the sequence was the rowan, then damia, damia's children, lyons pride, tower and hive. Ms Maccaffrey then went and wrote the three prequel books, to ride pegasus, pegasus in flight and pegasus in space. I'd recomend starting with either to ride pegasus or the Rowan. although the books do stand alone, its best to read each part of the sequences in order. unlike the pern series, there isn't overlapping, the novels are sequential.
Also some (although not all) of the brain ship series are quite good.
Nemishas Ship and Restoree are her only stand alone sci-fi novel s(so far as I know) and I enjoyed them as well.
I've not managed very well with the Acorna or Doona books, acorna i found a bit to goody goody, and doona (which was mostly co-written) was borning as hell

Oh I didn't realize they were part of the set I've already started reading Rowan and bought Damia. Thanks for the tip.:)

Hello, I'm pretty new too (to posting). McCaffery rocked my socks when I was first getting in to Sci-fi and fantasy. Her and Madeleine L'Engle were probably the two writers that were most influential to me, and made me go "I want to read more of this stuff!!!" (uhh, as a disclaimer, I think I was about 9 at the time, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
But welcome to the forum, and personally, I love the story of Piemur in DragonDrums, along with the story All the Weirs of Pern.

Good day

hello people of planet McCaffrey, i too have been hooked for a long time i have read most of her books over quite a few years. i am currently buying up everything i can find but please please please can someone tell me the correct order to read the pern books, i have just finished dragonsdawn so what comes next??? thanks for any help.

If you started with Dragonsdawn, then you're aiming for chronological order (which isn't recommended for your first time through, but it works).
Here's a simple list of chronologic order (it's really more complicated as books overlap):

Dragonsdawn
Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (a short story collection)
Red Star Rising
Dragon's Kin (with Todd McCaffrey)
Dragonsblood (by Todd alone)
Moreta
Nerilka's Story
Masterharper of Pern
Dragonflight
Dragonquest
Dragonsong
Dragonsinger
Dragondrums
White Dragon
Renegades of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern
Dolphins of Pern
Skies of Pern

For a diagram showing the overlapping chronology (and including short stories), I've got one here: http://pern.srellim.org/chrono.htm

And if you're interested in switching to publication order (and reading why that's recommended for the first time through), I've got that here: http://pern.srellim.org/readorder.htm

I do like the Pern series by McAffrey I must admit although I've not read all the books available.

Thanks for the comprehensive list, Cheryl. I've just realised that there's one there I've not read other than the two written/co-written with Todd. I really must put that omission right some time. :)

Shasta said:
comming to the end of a series it's like losing a friend.

Hi Shasta and welcome.

I think there is a thread somewhere describing echoing your thoughts on finishing a series.

Hi Shasta, I'm new to the Anne Forum and I agree with you. I tend to re-read all of the books one after another when I've got the chance. Don't ask me how or why, but I sometimes find things that I've missed...and I think to myself that was cool...now how did I miss that...must have been rushing thur it again. Big smiles.

Nice to meet you, Koffeekat! I'm relatively new to the forums here, but I love the Anne McCaffrey books, especially the Dragonriders of Pern series. Glad to see another fan on here!

Hi, and nice to meet you. Anne McCaffrey's books are a great read, in spite of some faults, especially in continuity. Most of them aren't necessarily immediately noticeable on first reading, but for long-term fans who've read the entire series several times the more blatant ones can be quite distracting.