Other Comic Fantasy Writers

Thanks Bick! They get better, too!

Cheers Rodders. The short-term answer is "no".

Firstly, and most importantly, I feel that two trilogies (and a few short stories) is a decent amount of work, and I feel that the quality of the books has been pretty consistent throughout. Everyone can think of a comedy series that went on too long, or that turned into a soap opera instead of a way of delivering laughs. I really don't want to go that way. (Also, of course, the main arc of the plot is more or less over.)

Secondly, I find it hard to write comedy these days. I can't go into much detail here, but I have seen little that makes me proud or fond of the UK and, particularly, England, in the last few years. Every country contains both bad and good in its nature, and at the moment, the bad vastly outweighs the good. In my current writing, I keep turning to Theoden's question, "What can men do against such reckless hate?", which is an important one, but not something I can be funny about.

However, that isn't to say that I never will. I do feel the urge to write humorously, and I've greatly enjoyed doing the Smith books. I wonder if a spin-off would be a good idea: perhaps less of a war story than a spy novel, and a comedy-drama instead of a straight comedy. We will see. At present, I am working on a series of long fantasy novels, which I am determined to finish. Once that project is over - perhaps in Autumn this year - I will give Smith's world another look.

Sorry not to be more definite!

Last edited:
Okay, you got me - just ordered the second pb from Book Depository. Hopefully it will wend its way to me through the virus infested world and reach me this side of Xmas!

Back Might I suggest Practical Deamonkeeping by Christopher Moore ?:)

I keep turning to Theoden's question, "What can men do against such reckless hate?", which is an important one, but not something I can be funny about.
In a way, this question is the heart of LOTR. Tolkien came up with a religious answer, which is fair enough - he was religious. I thought Bernard Hill delivered the version of the line brilliantly in the film, it always sends a shiver up my spine.

Yes, Bernard Hill is really good throughout. It's actually slightly shorter and punchier than the original quote from the books, and works better, I think. Overall, I think Peter Jackson did a tremendous job of turning the books into workable films. Unfortunately, the answer I come up with - that many humans really enjoy being cruel, and that many will allow themselves to be hurt if they get to hurt someone else more in the process - isn't suitable for outright comedy.