The Hunt for Gollum

Lady of Winterfell

Foxy Lady
Favorite Authors: George RR Martin Scott Lynch
While looking at one of the blogs I read, I found out about this independent Fan Film movie being made and thought I would share it will you all. According to the website...
It's a 40 minute independent film inspired by The Lord of the Rings which is to be released to the internet for free on May 3 2009.

You can check it out at THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM · A Lord of the Rings Fan Film.

Watching the trailers for it, it looks like it could be pretty decent.

It does look intriguing, but I wonder if they've obtained the rights to do this. Otherwise, big trouble could be coming their way.

I can't see any mention of any sort of permission in the present production - but their previous film, Born of Hope, the story of Aragorn and his parents, Arathorn and Gilraen, has the following rather sweeping notice attached:

This Fan Film is for entertainment purposes only and is in no way sponsored or approved by Tolkien Enterprises, the Tolkien Estate, Peter Jackson, New Line or any affiliates. The content is for the exclusive use of the downloader and should not be sold, rented, or used for any commercial enterprise in any way, shape, or form. We make no claim to any characters, storylines, prop designs, names, logos, situations that are trademarked, copyrighted or otherwise protected by federal, state or other intellectual property law. New Line, Peter Jackson, Weta, Tolkien Enterprises, the Tolkien Estate or any of their respective affiliates or licensees hold rights to some intellectual property herein used by this work. This work is produced solely for the personal, uncompensated enjoyment of ourselves and other Tolkien fans. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Copyright (c) Actors At Work Productions 2002-2009

Presumably, and I assume that they and their lawyers have gone into this thoroughly, the facts that no money is made from it and it's described as a fanfilm absolves them of any accusation of copyright theft...

Or they are trying to assert that there's no point in suing them for copyright enfringement because there's no money to be obtained by doing so.

Looks very good, or at least promising. Then again, trailers often do.....

Yay, first review! No spoilers!

Its good, aside for some hokey acting and lines straight out of the movies. Theres a lot of walking through forests, chewing dirt, and many other recognisable 'tropes'. I really like the way they have captured Golum, its inventive to say the least!
The battle scene is very good, and it finishes very well. Sometimes I laughed out loud, but in an endeared way! (I wonder how much it cost?)

5 out of 5 :D

That it was outstanding, considering the budget they had to work with. Cool swordfight! Really enjoyed it.