Getting uneasy.. about to finish The Malazan Book of the Fallen

shaggles

Hi,
I love fanatasy books and I picked up reading them last year which also curred my onset insomnia. Since then I have been reading all books from The Malazan Book of the Fallen and they are fantastic. I'm about to start with the last book available and look for recommendations of what to read next.

I really love long series of books and was wondering what you could recommend? I would love to read a series that will keep me busy for several months. It just adds so much to the story for me if characters develop from book to book.

I like dark themes, antiheros and absolutely enjoyed Glen Cooks First three Black Company books. Besides Erikson and Glen Cook I didn't read any other fantasy books yet (well I didn't read any fiction books in years).

What epic series of books can you recommend me? Any advice would be fantastic!

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
The Prince of Nothing Trilogy by R. Scott Bakker
Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Somewhere on the boards is a thread named Fantasy for the un-enlightened2.
Theres loads of recommendations in there and if i can find it i'll post a link for you.

Meanwhile,

Anything by David Gemmell for easy reading heroic fantasy
Abercrombie's FIRST LAW TRILOGY
First 6 books of Raymond E. Fiest's Magican series (after the sixth the go downhill a bit)

For epic fantasy that is a long series i would recommend:
As noted above- a song of ice & fire George R R martin
The wars of light & shadow - Janny Wurts (my personal favourite :) )
Raymond Feist has a lot of books out in his world, almost 20 now i think. The quality does shift from some story arcs but still worth while imo.
The thread mentioned above Fantasy for the unenlighted is a sticky'd thread on the general forum. It contains enough recommendations to keep you busy for years !
If you want to see a bit more about Janny Wurts, check out the sub forum dedicated to her works. Just avoid the spoiler threads !

I've read Abercrombie, Martin, Feist, Bakker.
Now I'm getting uneasy. :) ;)
I'm on Midnight Tides, and still loving every minute of it. What will I read when I'm done?
I hope that Wurts will have her reprints available soon.

Don't forget that Erikson is plannig more Malazan books after this story arc is completed, so it's not over yet...;)

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I just bought the first three books for the Farseer series from Robin Hobb. The other recommendations were unfortunately not available over here in Thailand but I will order them from Amazon.

Another for A Song of Ice and Fire, starting with A Game of Thrones, by GRRM.

Although Hobb is a good pick.