Peter Brett: THE WARDED MAN

Clansman

Lochaber Axeman, QC
i just finished the ARC of this book a week ago, and this guy really is worth a look. Darker fantasy, not medieval, but pre-industrial, fallen civilization setting, with an interesting premise. Characters are interesting, and the book was really hard to put down. The last new author I felt this way about was Patrick Rothfuss. I'll pen a review shortly, but I wanted to know if anyone else has read this yet. It is a very new hardcover release (I just saw it in Chapters last week).

Yes, the book has been out since last August in the UK, which is where it started picking up some pre-release steam. It's a very good book with some great ideas told in a traditional (but not overtly derivative) manner. The sequel, The Desert Spear, was recently pushed back to 2010, which was unfortunate news.

i've got the painted man, which amazon says is the first in the series, on my wishlist. hoping someone nice will get it for me :)

Oh yeah, The Painted Man is the 'proper' title. The American publishers thought it was weird and changed it to The Warded Man. They are the same book though.

I have often wondered about the differences in titles, and even covers. The most ridiculous changes can happen (J.K. Rowling's being the most obvious). Though, I must admit, The Warded Man seems apt, as wards are prevalent throughout the book, and for the character in question, who

VERY SLIGHT SPOILER HERE

becomes warded himself. However, The Painted Man is just as apt.

It was pushed back to 2010? That is certainly not good news. I liked the book and was waiting for the next one, hoping he would stick with the main character and not skip to another character. If he does I will snap up the second!

It's being published in the UK this year I believe.... Unsure why the delay is happening. Excelent read, hate the wait between volumes in good reads. :rolleyes::)

ok well i got this now and i have to say, not impressed. not at all.
i find the characters flat and bland.
i find there is no tension
not enough descrption of anything
and what on EARTH is with the constant sex references? i feel as though he started the book too early (should have begun with the painted man saving the two on the road at the end, then gone on.) and most of what happened early on seems to be there just to have sex there. i mean, what was with the father raping his daughter? that had no purpose! what is with ALL the men wanting sex with leesha like ALL the time, when she's trying to get home? and the mother is ott bad.
so disappointed.

yep. that's life. :) tho it makes me sad, cos i wanted to like it. i want to find a new writer to get passionate about, like mr patrick rothfuss. but it just wasn't this one :(

@faery queen- if your looking for new authors may i suggest Brent Weeks and Joe Abercrombie ! Joe is the better of the two imho but both are good. Of course you may have already read them and if so what did you think?!
I've picked up Mr Rothfuss but not read it yet ! It's next on my list after i finish my Black COmpany trilogy. Heard lots of good comments about it though so looking forward to it.

I've just this morning finished reading the Painted Man and I found it exciting throughout. Some of the time skips left me wishing I knew more of what happened in between but I think the book flowed well and I personally enjoy the story. After the last chapter taking you south to see the krasians marching across the desert I've been pondering what exactly is going to happen in the next book, the Desert Spear - I quite like the theme of man united against demon but after the krasians betrayal of Arlen and they're obvious dislike for 'thesans' I'm expecting them to try waging the wrong kind of war.. Still very impatient for the next book to come along!

Oh, Hollywood is going to destroy this story. I just know it. 'Course, that's what Hollywood does.