Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind)

Sapphie

A working progress..
Well, this is my first thread so if its crap, my apologies.

I first discovered these books by my mum and uncle, they were ranting and raving that these books were being made into a TV series and showed me the trailer for it. And i was like "Oh wow! Fantasy love/adventure story!" and started watching it too. And MY GOLLY GOSH its amazing!! I recomend it to everyone who reads this,because the series is sooo good, ive actually started reading the book. the first is called 'Wizards First Rule' and its by Terry Goodkind. The series is called 'Legend of the Seeker', but the series doesnt follow the books, but its still really awesome! So yeah, I'dlove to talk about it with anyone who's read/watched it!

Love love love
xxxx

Be warned, ye who be new - in these here waters, dogs don't take kindly to Goodkind. Indeed, it's been ages since I last admitted to reading the series (still got to read the last one... might have to walk into the nearest library again).

With the right wards, though, you can keep those who want to see Goodkind hung up next to his currant bun kept out. ;)

As for the television series, I haven't had chance to watch it yet, alas. Wouldn't mind to do so, though.

Welcome, by the way.

Whats not to like about him? He's an amazing writer! lol, thanks for the welcome btw :D The television series is very very good, Richard Cypher is *cough* very *cough* hot. haha. And Kahlan is probably very good looking to guys lol.

No but the book's are good, i dont see whats so bad about him? I was reading on another thread that they dont like it when he went into great detail, but i like that, it shows he's put thought into writing it, which doesnt happen with most writers.

So i take it you're not so new here? hee hee

I watch the series! It's awesome.

I bet women fancy Kahlan too! She's a looker.

A lot of people don't have much time for Goodkind or his books and I'm probably in that camp but by the same token he does have a solid following, so please post away as there will I suspect be an active response to this thread from other members.

To clarify I'm referring to the books in the above statement. I've never seen the TV version so I can't comment on that and they may well prove to be quite good viewing.

BTW for your first thread it was a good one and Welcome!

Cheers...:)

welcome hope you enjoy your stay,

as far as goodkind goes, i admit when wizards first rule came out
i was excited about it and i read it pretty quickly and i liked it
but for me and i by no means say this in trying to deter you
i got bored with his writing very quickly, i have bought all the books and read them.

as far as the tv series goes, it reminds me of xena and hercules
they need a need a new zed. the guy who is playing him is bad imo

but neverless you read what you like and enjoy them to the upmost

Yeah, threads about Goodkind generally aren't safe around here. I didn't have as much of a problem with the books as others. I was aware of the problems, I just usually ignored them and enjoyed the decent parts. Though Richard really did become preachy, and the Kahlan always getting kidnapped or seperated from Richard did get to be a bit annoying.

I tried watching the first episode of the TV show. I just couldn't do it. They made Richard into some kind of man-boy and none of the other characters fit either. Things were changed so much it wasn't even funny.

You do get kind of a mixed response with his stuff, and it is a good first post as you will probably get a good discusion going.

I was looking forward to the first book when it came out but never read further than that. His was one of those books I pitched through the window (lucky it was open I'd have been in soooo much trouble if it had been closed :p).

I also tried the tv series and it reminded me why I didn't like the books. My friend and I both watched the first two episodes and then she decided she'd rather watch paint dry.

However, on the other hand, I do know a couple of people who really enjoy the books. I will probably try them again someday and see if things have changed enough for me to enjoy them.

I also want to point out to those who have made comparisons that Hercules and Xena are infinite steps above the first rule tv series. That is, of course, only my opinion :cool:.

Also, Welcome!

The mixed response is the only reasonable one! WFR was good...but some of the others became decidedly dodgy. Oddly enough though, quite few of us appear to have ploughed our way through the whole series. I think I kept hoping for a return to form!

I read WFR and thought it was ok. I've not picked up any of the other books though. I've watched the tv series and it also seems ok. I don't think it's awful, but I don't find it compelling either.

I think a lot of people are turned off by Goodkind's Objectivist philosophy. I've seen plenty of criticism of authors, due to worldview or philosophy (e.g. R. Scott Bakker & determinism, et. al.). I think the enjoyment of fantasy fiction will depend a great deal more upon the reader's perspective than one might expect.

That could be true, for me though it was the character's actions that turned me off. They really felt like they were puppets for the Author, they would be set up in character one way but then a paragraph later act completely out of character and then two paragraphs or a page later act completely differently again. Drove me nuts.

That was actually what my friend said about the characters when watching the show, she asked me if they are supposed to be idiots and why in the world they would act that way when all common sense would seem to be against it. The only thing I could tell her was that's the way the writers wanted it to be.

Which is really not a good thing for any book or tv series, you should not be talking about the writers you should be enjoying it. For us, neither worked.

Which was very disappointing because it really had seemed like the type of novel I would enjoy.

Well i read the whole series pretty much straight through as when i started i only had to wait for Phantom and confessor to come out. I found the series on the whole to be enjoyable with admittedly some preaching from Richard at inopportune times. I've watched some of the series on tv and found it very dissapointing, as was expected they have cut immense amounts of text and it always leaves me feeling annoyed ! The casting is also pretty poor imo.

A lot of people liked the first two or three books, then had issues when Goodkind's 'philosophy' (Objectivism, which isn't really a philosophy but more of an argument to justify being a ultra-right-wing neocon arsehole) took over and the whole series of books turned into propaganda.

I read the first book and gave up in the second after realising how badly he was ripping off Robert Jordan. But even the first had problems, like with Richard kicking an eight-year-old girl's face in for saying bad things about his girlfriend, the 100-page BDSM torture scene and Zedd magically removing some guys' testicles for no particular reason. When I started hearing about some of the stuff from later in the series I decided not to proceed. There's way too many vastly superior books by much better writers to be wasting time with this trash.

I read all of the books and even own the last few in hardcover...that doesnt mean I think they are great. I got very tired of the same story line every book...Richard loses Kahlan and has to reunite. Some of the story was enjoyable but it seemed so wrapped up in Philosophy and useless gabbing instead of real action.

I have watched a couple episodes of Legend of the Seeker and the chemistry is awful between the characters and Richard is awful...he is a small whiny man who is nothing like the Richard of the books. oh well...that is why there is very little fantasy on television..because even Sam Raimi cant make it cool. Oh well, HBO, please redeem them all with the SoIaf series!

I haven't read all the books, I'm actually still reading the first one, but already I've noticed loads of differences between the book and the series, ie- it takes 18 chapters for Richard and Kahlan to get through the boundry, where in the book it's only one episode. Also, my mum's read all the books so i ask her about the episodes and if they're the same, and they're not. apparently the majority of the episodes aren't actually in the book at all. But the write-up of the series did say that it didn't follow the book. so i'm not really complaining lol.

and where the actors are, because i started watching the series before the book, when i read it i picture the characters as i do from the series, so it's alright for me, which is good lol.

Thanks to everyone being so welcoming!! Its really nice as this is my first thread etc. i normally spend most of my time in the playrooms, so this is strangely just as fun!! Thanks everybody!! xx

Hi X, welcome to the hottest spot North of Havana -oops, wrong song.

I really enjoyed the first two books, thought they were great. After that, I honestly thought Goodkind decided to emulate Jordan and write an epic tale that went on and on and on. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he did emulate Jordan, and so much of his writing meandered all over the place with loss of drama and plot, and I lost interest. Right now, off the top of my head I can tell you loads about those first two books, but almost nothing from any of the others, right up until the last one, which speaks volumes about what my mind retains as interesting/noteworthy. Having started though, perversely, I had to finish, and I slogged through the other books until the bitter end, which I found unbelievably disappointing.

BUT: there are those who get Goodkind's way of writing and lap it up, and if you're one of those, then you are in for a treat, liking having 11 cream buns when you're really starving..... I hope you enjoy the books, there's always more in a book than the film. Not sure when we're getting SOT in the Uk...or have I missed it already? I will watch it, and reserve judgement until then.

I'm not actually sure id it does come out in the UK, and if and when it does, you can bet I'll be watching them all again. Don't get me wrong, I live in the UK, I have a friend who downloads the episododes for me, It's great, NO ADVERTS!! :D:D:D

for me, as i think the world knows by now, my main issue with goodkind is the misogny, the rape and other ways of putting women down and punishing them. but i also couldn't stand the characters. no one should be that perfect.
i'd be half interested to see the show, but i think i'd probably avoid it on petty principles in the end.

I enjoyed the series but I think it was more a matter of having invested time in the first few books that I just wanted to see what ultimately happened.

The later books became somewhat painful whenever Goodkind wrote about Richard's love for Kahlan. Wow, stop the madness. Why do I need 100 pages in every darn book to explain to me how important Kahlan is to Richard? Seriously, I got it the first or even twentieth time.

Then there was the one book that Goodkind could just cut out of the series. I think it was Pillars of Creation. I think Richard showed up in that book on the last page (well, at least he wasn't pining for Kahlan throughout the book - so that is a plus).

Edit:

On the TV series, it is entertaining if there is nothing else on. Oh, and I agree with the other poster that said the series needs a new Zed. I don't like that guy for some reason.