Ray Bradbury

This is very confusing, I found a contents list for "The Stories of Ray Bradbury volume 2" here but although there's a lot of overlap, it's not the same as the contents list in the actual book I have in front of me, despite being the same ISBN, publisher and date.:confused:

Then if that is the case, it would be the second of a two-volume edition of the original hardbound version....

I recently finished "Something Wicked This Way Comes". It was good but not quite as good as I had hoped it would be. Here's my review:

Somehow I think that I prefer Bradbury's short stories. While this was quite good, it took me a while to get into the way it as written. Heavy on the imagery with a peculiar narrative style although most definitely and unmistakeably Bradbury.

Once again his nostalgia, in particular for his lost boyhood, shows in this novel. The "something wicked" is a travelling fairground manned by a collection of freaks led by Mr. Dark, the "illustrated man". There's something not quite right about this fairground that has arrived so late in the year and in the middle of the night. Very soon, strange things start to happen and two boys, Jim and Will quickly find themselves at the heart of the story...

The effectiveness of this story probably depends on how well you can relate to the protagonists. Something that the less male, the less American and the further removed from Bradbury's generation you are, the harder that is going to be.

I've heard a lot of talk for a while they're doing a SOUND OF THUNDER movie....can anyone confirm or deny?

Ray Bradbury and I

Mr Bradbury was a nice man I met years ago in Waukegan, Illinois during a book signing, he autograghed my old copy of The ILLUSTRATED MAN. I asked him for the secret of successful writing, he looked me in the eye, smiled lightly and said: "Write every day, that my friend is the secret."

I shook his hand firmly, smiled, thanked him and tried not to appear too star-struck as I walked away. But when I reached my car I noticed my hands were shaking in excitement and I chuckled to myself.

I was wondering if anyone was going to post a link to Ms. Bloom's video. It's vulgar and tacky compared to Ray's work... but it does have an odd catchiness to it and is (comparatively) clever. Most of all, though, it is obviously done as a lark.

As for a response from Bradbury, this site states that a friend of his passed on that he had seen it (twice) and liked it:

The Girl Who (NSFW) Loves Ray Bradbury

So apparently (if this is accurate) he took it in the spirit it was intended....

And, of course, people should be warned that, if certain words offend, they should avoid clicking on any of the links above....

Well I hope they got that right, I'd like to think he would appreciate both the humour and, I think, the sincerity of it. I thought it was great fun and remarkably well done.

Oh, and I tell you what it's made me stop and think it's been a while since I read any of his stuff...

The video induced me to re-read The Martian Chronicles. It had been over 40 years since the first time. The man has a rare way with prose.

Ok, I'm another one of the many other (it seems?) members who has been wondering for the longest time why Bradbury doesn't have a sub-forum devoted to him. I mean...- he's pretty well-known as both an SF and a horror writer. I've seen many horror writers say that they were influenced by Bradbury.

Now, my big question is this : which of Bradbury's tales are horror stories, and which are the best? I have some of his short story collections, like "Quicker than the Eye" "The Small Assassin" and "October Country" .

I've started with Quicker than the Eye, but didn't find any horror stories so far?
As far as novels go, apparently Something Wicked This Way Comes is his best in the horror genre?

I hate to think of anyone considering Ray Bradbury lame... Always loved his stuff, especially the short stories, but I'd also say that Dandelion Wine has to be my favourite novel. My copy of the PS Publishing edition has pride of place on my bookshelf :) He's a writer I continually find myself coming back to, which is pretty rare.

I hate to think of anyone considering Ray Bradbury lame... Always loved his stuff, especially the short stories, but I'd also say that Dandelion Wine has to be my favourite novel. My copy of the PS Publishing edition has pride of place on my bookshelf :) He's a writer I continually find myself coming back to, which is pretty rare.

I agree entirely, Alex. Now, if you could get him for the anthology...! :rolleyes:

I agree with what a lot of people say on this thread, Ray Bradbury's short stories are great.
His only novel I enjoy is "Martian Chronicles", which is basically a collection of short stories, too (and there are many inconsistences between them, which many readers find "eerie" and "mind-boggling", but I think it's because he wrote each story separately).
On the other hand, I can't stand "Fahrenheit 451" any more, it is pretentious and dogmatic, and revered beyond any limits.