What is a good first?

Nikitta

Silly Person
I've been recommended Neil Gaiman enough times that I want to give him a try. Having read excerpts of some of his books on amazon, I think he seems promising, but that question is:

Which book would you recommend to someone who has never read anything by him before?

AH....now that's an interesting question my friend....:D
HMMM...where does one begin with one's favourite author (alongside Steven Erikson, Gene Wolfe et al.....).

Firstly an apology to those people whom I promised that I would post a list of Neil's major works. I haven't forgotten, just that I've just finished a major milestone on an international project, so next week I'll have heaps more time to do so and of course Easter is nigh. If anyone wants the most comprehensive list of Neil's published work and a really interesting book check out ...checking name.....?can't recall GRRR!!..don't worry will post that bit in the bio folks.

OK, Nikitta if you're reading this hang on a sec and I'll post something right here very shortly AND here it is:

IMO....Best Adult Novel: American Gods, Best Children/YA Novel: Coraline and now Graveyard Book, Best collection: Fragile Things & Greatest comic/graphic novel series...too easy this one......Sandman, a classic as highly regarded as Watchmen.

Also worth checking out is the new animated film Coraline, Stardust the movie and the brilliant Mirromask.

Last edited:
Or you could try "Good Omens" a collaboration Pratchett and Gainmen very funny book love it dearly.:D

Yes as far as collaborations go along with the little known one he did with Gene Wolfe (walking tour of the shambles)....are good suggestions.

I preferred Smoke and Mirrors to Fragile Things, I think! But I do love them both.

Neverwhere was the first Neil Gaiman I read. Absolutely cracked me up!

I preferred Smoke and Mirrors to Fragile Things, I think! But I do love them both.
HMMM..interesting most people go the other way on those two.

Still it at least shows you're a unique individual....;)

Actually I agree overall they're both good but then I'm a dedicated fan boy so there you go.....

Cheers.

I've only read half of Fragile Things but I'd tend to lean towards Smoke and Mirrors, as well. I also think Stardust is his best work, and either that or the aforementioned Neverwhere are your best jumping-off points. Even as a fan, I struggled through American Gods, and haven't gone back to revisit the characters in Anansi Boys.

Sandman? Not so much. Try Marvel 1602 for a different take on some familiar characters...

Thanks for your replies. I've now bought Neverwhere and American Gods (Couldn't decide between them, so I got both).

Are you referring to the novel w.r.t. Neverwhere? You see there's also a graphic novel and of course the BBC production made some years back which, whilst problematic for amongst others Neil himself, still a fun watch.

Are you referring to the novel w.r.t. Neverwhere? You see there's also a graphic novel and of course the BBC production made some years back which, whilst problematic for amongst others Neil himself, still a fun watch.

Oh. I didn't realise that. It was the novel I bought.

In that case the graphic novel is also worth seeking out Nikitta.

Neil has done a ton of work in the area of graphic novels as well as both adult and children's literature.

I should have done this before as promised but I will post a list of Neil's main works here over Easter so that members such as yourself can get a better idea of his body of work, which is considerable.

Cheers....

Darkman was written specifically for film. Darkman was supposed to have the feel of a comic book superhero (they couldn't get rights to The Shadow, so made thier own).
There was a Darkman comic after the film.

Darkman was written specifically for film. Darkman was supposed to have the feel of a comic book superhero (they couldn't get rights to The Shadow, so made thier own).
There was a Darkman comic after the film.
And...the author was also the director in Sam Raimi, not Neil....:)

I'd suggest starting with american gods then anansi boys then neverwhere.
Stardust is good but those three seem to keep within the same genre of fantasy.

I stumbled across Neil Gaiman via Sandman towards the tail end of its run. Absolutely addictive. Have since gone on to read all his novels, short stories etc.

So I'd recommend starting with Sandman.

Back